Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APSC - FF sensors
For me FF is preferred for a variety of reasons, other than more DoF control, less noise, etc.

I've shot with APS-C cameras myself up to and including the Canon EOS 400D and 40D, and handled basically all of them until the most recent models. What I do not like at all is the tunnel vision of these cameras, and if Nikon hasn't improved on this over the last 10 years, it is no better IMO.

Then there is IQ: a larger sensor puts less strain on the lenses, basically because the pixels are bigger, and somehow that translates to the image files IMO. I really prefer FF over APS-C as a result. In addition, FF lenses tend to be better and faster than APS-C lenses, especially when it comes to professional glass, which often is not available specifically for APS-C, possibly with the exception of Fuji amd/or some 3rd party lenses.

Basically, I started with a Canon 350D as my first dslr, not long after it appeared, and I had the budget for a 5D (classic), which appeared around the same time. Had I known, I would have gone straight for the 5D, which I eventually bought anyway Smile.

Actually, now is a very good time to get into FF, basically because you could get a used FF dslr for a very good price, or get straight into one of the new Nikons or Canons. However, as a starter FF body, the Canon EOS RP would be my recommendation currently. The OEM adapter that comes with it is very, very good, and allows seamless operation with EF lenses, at generally faster and more accurate AF. In addition, the EVF shows you how the endresault, jpeg-wise, is going to look, and there are a bunch more improvements. Coupled with, initially, the 35 F/1.8 IS Macro or the RF 24-105L IS, you would have an absolute winner combination.

I do own a full set of MFT cameras and lenses as well, and I am happy with those too, basically because IQ IMO is just as good as APS-C, but overall the system is lighter, so great when I do not have the room to carry the bigger FF setup with me. Essentially, with both I am very happy, and lucky enough to be able to afford great lenses for both setups in addition. This reminds me of another thing: certainly the new Canon lenses are basically in a new class - they will d great with the upcoming higher MP bodies, I am absolutely sure. No idea really about Sony or Nikon, but I am very, very impressed so far (owning 4 of the 5 currently available RF glass).

Thwo more thoughts, regarding Canon: if you have a higher budget, I'd recommend the EOS R, which is thought 1, and thought 2 is that if you have an even higher budget available, I would wait a couple of months, if you can and want to, as I expect the EOS Rs or whatever it is going to be called, the replacement for the Canon 5 Ds/5 Dsr, to make an appearance before the end of the year, and possible a 1Dx II type mirrorless body sometime in the first half of next year (and potentially a few other bodies as well, but that may well be a bit later next year). I do expect all new bodies from the end of this year to have IBIS, BTW.

I you are unsure, and you do have the opportunity to rent a FF camera and one or more lenses to go with it, I would certainly suggest you do so, to clear your mind on the matter.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
APSC - FF sensors - by brisco - 08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by toni-a - 08-22-2019, 02:56 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by JJ_SO - 08-22-2019, 03:24 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by wim - 08-22-2019, 04:01 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by Brightcolours - 08-22-2019, 04:08 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by borisbg - 08-22-2019, 06:08 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by thxbb12 - 08-23-2019, 08:02 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by Sinasina - 08-23-2019, 08:59 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by JJ_SO - 08-24-2019, 11:55 AM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by Sinasina - 08-24-2019, 12:38 PM
RE: APSC - FF sensors - by JJ_SO - 08-24-2019, 01:38 PM