Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worthupgrading from 24-105f4L to the newer version ?
(09-02-2019, 06:19 AM)miro Wrote: Hi tony,
I understand your question.
The real problem is that there is no kitlens for Canon RP. You have several options
1.      Wait, canon will made it one day. How long it will take? No idea, for sony took 5 years.
2.      Go cheap and adapt some EF glass. It is expensive in long run. Finally you will be not happy, you have to do several re-sales until you reach satisfactory state.

@Wim – I understand you statement too. I have no doubt that if you can afford premium price. Canon L series is the way to go. Nikon & Sony  have no match in this regard. You’ve made the best choice
Hi Miro,

Thank you!

As to toni-a’s question: I do not think it makes sense to upgrade from EF 24-105L to EF 24-105L II, basically because, as indicated, it will cost 500 euros to get it, at no appreciable IQ increase. That’s ok if you don’t have a 24-105L yet, but the small difference is not worth that amount of money IMO.

IMO, you are better off in that case to continu shooting with the older lens, and save a bit longer, to get a really good replacement. The price of the RF 24-105L is the same as the old EF 24-105L upon introduction, more or less.

As to kit lenses: over here the kits available with the RP are the RP plus RF 35 F/1.8 IS STM, or plus RF 24-105L IS USM, or plus RF 50 F/1.2L USM Smile. Considering the RP is comparable to the 6D II, I think the RF 24-105L IS USM is a very fitting kit lens. Added benefit is that it is really very good.

There always is the option to get cheaper glass, as any EF/EF-S lens will fit and work well if not better than on EF-mount bodies (better IME so far) with the adapter Canon provides. However, considering we are talking FF here, I’d still suggest to go with L-glass to get the most out of it, unless you have a very specific reason not to, such as specific macro lenses etc. And sticking to EF-glass, maybe the 24-70 F/4L is an option. A bit more expensive, but it is cheaper (and shorter) than the EF 24-105L II new. I do think that once you get into FF territory, you should try and maximize what you can get out of it, and to maximize the EOS R system, I would really suggest to go for RF lenses in case of replacement. 

Just my 2c of course ....

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it worthupgrading from 24-105f4L to the newer version ? - by wim - 09-02-2019, 03:38 PM