The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus AF
Yesterday I did the usual bokeh testing for an Oly (PRO) lens.

I haven't done many such tests on MFT (for obvious reasons). However, I did notice once again that Olympus doesn't AF meter at max aperture - while e.g. Sony meters at the set aperture (usually at least).

I didn't check it formally but Oly appears to use something like f/2.8 or f/4 here (at least on the E-M5 II). That was during the "cat eyes" test scene where I used faster aperture settings. I noticed it because I set the aperture to X and the disc size increased massively on the actual image.

What could possibly be the reason for such an approach? It feels rather stupid to me because you lose the ability to check the DoF (there's a DoF preview button like on a DSLR).
It can't really be the amount of light. Because the AF data is based on the main sensor image, the data is, in turn, dependent on the basically constant exposure (in normal scenes) - the camera constantly adjusts the exposure for the live view image after all.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji

Messages In This Thread
Olympus AF - by Klaus - 09-23-2019, 11:22 PM
RE: Olympus AF - by borisbg - 09-24-2019, 05:20 AM
RE: Olympus AF - by Brightcolours - 09-24-2019, 06:23 AM