Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 35mm f1.2 DN vignets like crazy?
(09-27-2019, 07:37 AM)Rover Wrote: Well, you've answered your own question. Smile Even the 50L RF does, as you say, "vignette like crazy", despite being used on an allegedly better mount. I've checked a few reviews of Canon mount ultrafast (f/1.4 or brighter) lenses here on PZ and, as a rule, the vignetting only gets better by 85mm (1.8 stops on average for 85mm f/1.4 lenses wide open, same for the 1.2 L). At 35mm, the Sigma f/1.4 and the original Canon L are, interestingly, a little better behaved in this regard than the L II (2.65 and 2.4 stops WO, respectively).

Which question have I answered?

Anyway, lets actually look at some data. The Canon EF 35mm f1.4 L USM II is a DSLR lens which should be at a disadvantage due to the flange distance combined with the focal length.
Same source, lenstip (which does not have the same platform to platform issue OL has regarding vignetting, as far as I know) says this lens vignets 2.88 stops in the corners. That is 1 stop less than the sigma which is 1/2 a stop faster. Somehow that does not explain things well, losing more light than the aperture gains.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sigma 35mm f1.2 DN vignets like crazy? - by Brightcolours - 09-27-2019, 08:46 AM