Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 USM L vs the new DS
(10-24-2019, 07:32 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 07:21 AM)JJ_SO Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 07:07 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: ....

The DS has less shallow DOF (obviously, as the DS is "stopped down" by the DS coating). ...

I tried to decode the double negative. In other words, the DS has a larger DoF, even wide open?

Does the filter used in the DS influence the AF (PD or CDAF slower or even working no more)? I'm just asking because I made this very bad and uninformed decision to follow Klaus' verdict on the Fujinon 56/1.2 R APD:

Quote:Now is it worth it ? Well, of course, it is! How often can you buy magic for money after all! We'd also favour it over the already great non-APD variant. In fact ... the tested sample will remain in my stock. Highly recommended!

Which is pretty misleading as one cannot use this lens in dark situations, PD AF doesn't work anymore. That was one of the rather expensive mistakes I made - and the Canon lens is more than double the price of the Fuji. Besides, I don't find the differences of both 56 mm bokehwise worth the higher price.

Yes, the DS has larger DOF wide open. The by you mentioned APD Fuji also has less shallow DOF than the non-APD, by the way.
Example for the RF Canons:
https://www.canonrumors.co/wp-content/up...l-ds-1.jpg

I do not know if the AF will be affected with the Canon DPAF system. Maybe in very low light?

In very low light CDAF becomes rather slow. I still don't know wether it's a real technical limitation of this "bokeh filters" or an artificial limitation to make sure all or at least more pictures are in focus.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Canon RF 85mm f/1.2 USM L vs the new DS - by JJ_SO - 10-24-2019, 08:16 AM