Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First test of the Tamron 20 ƒ/2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2
(01-02-2020, 07:16 PM)faint Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 12:01 PM)Rover Wrote: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/tamro...erformance

8.5% native barrel distortion is... wild. Smile I wonder what kind of value is considered the borderline of the fisheye territory?

There is some tradeoff between distortion and MFT resolution values for wide angle lenses.

I wonder if it is OK to leave distortion less corrected when every other parameter is more or less optimized, and leave the end user to decide what distortion correction to apply during post-processing. Obviously, landscape people will want better edge sharness, architectural people will look for straight lines.

Well, I think that's exactly what has been done lately by most producers? Compare the two versions of the Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6: the first one was not as sharp as the second but had a lot less linear distortion; for the second version the inverse was true. Many comparatively recent lenses, even in the DSLR lands, have been made less corrected for distortion but with better overall sharpness than the older versions. The likes of the Nikkor 24-85 VR comes to mind immediately. And in most of the mirrorless realm, it's really gone laissez-faire (Olympus, Fuji, or that Sony 18-105 with the pincushion measuring upwards of 6% at some FLs...)

Messages In This Thread
RE: First test of the Tamron 20 ƒ/2.8 Di III OSD M 1:2 - by Rover - 01-03-2020, 01:48 PM