Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensor dynamic range importance in real life
(06-22-2020, 12:27 PM)thxbb12 Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 09:30 AM)toni-a Wrote: The measures we have them, but how much are they meaningful in real life, in the real world...

At dpreview.com they have a gallery for the Canon RP which features a few under-exposed shots that could serve as test examples.

For instance, this shot at base ISO looks pretty bad once adjusted; original shot:
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-gallerie...2200358155

The adjusted one which becomes quite noisy and reminds me of what I get with MFT:
https://www.dpreview.com/sample-gallerie...8943620914

It would be interesting to see the result of a similar shot with a Nikon Z6 or a Sony A7III for instance.

this test is more about ISO invariance than dynamic range, I guess we are mixing things a little bit
For ISO invariance yes EOSRP is a loser a picture taken at ISO 400 and pushed one f stop has much more noise than a photo taken natively at ISO 800, that's why plenty of Canon users have the habit of shooting to the right and then decrease exposure in post processing to overcome this issue, to add insult to the injury Canon sensors already have more noise in shadows areas than the rest of the frame... shooting to the right solves this.
In bright daylight, instead of 1/100 f16 at ISO 100 use 1/50f16 ISO 100 and push exposure minus one f stop in RAW you will have much better results
For landscape when shooting RAW I do my metering using live histogram taking care of not to have clipped highlights, when you know your gear shortcomings and know how to overcome them, they are not shortcomings anymore
will show you all this as soon as I have some time to shoot and edit pictures, hopefully this week

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sensor dynamic range importance in real life - by davidmanze - 06-22-2020, 08:48 AM
RE: Sensor dynamic range importance in real life - by toni-a - 06-22-2020, 12:50 PM
RE: Sensor dynamic range importance in real life - by miro - 06-24-2020, 09:13 AM