Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE announced
(09-14-2020, 04:07 PM)Rover Wrote: AFAIR, L-mount isn't open. It's owned by Leica who decided to invite Panasonic (as their longtime partner, duh) and Sigma on board, but whether they (Leica) ever want to let anyone else join is entirely up to them. My crystal ball is out for servicing so I won't take guesses as to how solid are the chances, but I don't think it's very likely. Enough that they have Sigma, who was never known for inflated prices, with them for the ride.

RF and Z mount? Guess Samyang will port more of their lenses to these eventually, as there are already a couple products for these (can't be arsed to look up for which one exactly tho) so that means they have the wherewithal. Hope C/N don't put a lid on that somehow.

For some reason I thought the L-mount was an open standard, but I was wrong.
Indeed, it's only an alliance between Leica, Panasonic and Sigma. Here is the exact wording from https://l-mount.com/en/Q-and-A:

Question: Is the alliance open to further partners?
Answer: The L-Mount Alliance is not a completely open alliance. It came about by the granting of licences by Leica Camera AG to Panasonic and SIGMA. Nevertheless, other partners could be taken onboard if certain conditions are met.

That really sucks. So I guess it only leaves the FE mount then :-(
--Florent

Flickr gallery

Messages In This Thread
Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE announced - by Klaus - 09-14-2020, 10:59 AM
RE: Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE announced - by Rover - 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM
RE: Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE announced - by thxbb12 - 09-14-2020, 07:29 PM