Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera
(10-08-2020, 01:18 PM)mst Wrote:
(10-08-2020, 11:29 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: 1st off... the R5 is ready to make a photo within 1 second after it is switched on.

That might indeed not be fast enough. Especially if the EVF stays black during startup and you can't see where you're aiming.

Out of curiosity, I just checked with the D5: the delay between switching it on and the shutter clicking is basically zero. I assume it's not any different with a 1D-series camera.

Besides startup times, the biggest challenge for any manufacturer trying to bring a pro ML camera to market will be battery life. On events I took the D5 to (racing), I managed close to 5000 shots on a single battery. I don't see numbers close to that for any ML camera too soon.
Hi Marcus,

Please do tell, how does a sportsphotigrapher switch on a camera?
My experience is that the camera is switched on, then brought up toeye level. That easily takes 0.6 s to 1 s or even more with a heavy lens. Between switching a camera on and actually operating it, 1 s is absolutely negligible.

As to getting 5000 shots out of a battery: that is without chimping, I assume. I also wonder how many of those are usable, as in, sharp - with the R5, when you have set it up for your purpose, that is about 99.8 %.
With my EOS-R I easily get 1200 shots out of a battery BTW, having the camera on all of the time. I have managed 1800 shots once, doing a lot of shooting in a relatively short time. So, you'd need 3 batteries to get to 5000 in that case, and get about 4730 potential keepers ....
Batteries way very little, and take up very little space, so it is easy enough to have a few extra at hand anyway.

I really do think you need to reset your frame of reference here Smile. Looks like you are still set in the old way of thinking Wink.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....

Messages In This Thread
RE: That Canon link is now linking to the Nikon Z9 sports camera - by wim - 10-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Question to BC - by davidmanze - 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM