a6600
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice to buy: Sony a6500 or a6600?
Sure I'll write a review as soon as possible. Actually the delivery has been super fast and I already enjoyed a first quick trip, but of course it is limited experience. Usually I practice with new camera bodies on the balcony, but currently the building where I live is going through a façade restoration and scaffolding is preventing me from doing any test - which is really unfortunate, given the pack of features that the new body sports. 

My points so far:

1. The camera has got really a lot of new features when compared with the a6300 (my previous latest), including a new highlight-oriented exposure (I hadn't spotted it in the reviews).
  2. The menu system got huge (and of course is totally different than the one in the previous models).
  3. The AF system itself has got a great number of options - and the manual is not clear on everything, so you have to try them.
  4. While the first a6*** models were stingy with custom buttons now there are four, plus the ones on the wheel: so it's worth while spending some time trying different approaches with them; also I'm trying to keep things as much consistent as I can with the other two bodies (which requires some changes).
  5. Last but absolutely not least I'm trying a relevant change with my modus operandi. I use two presets for static and dynamic subjects; with static subjects the trigger should be decoupled from the AF, so I go with "focus and recompose". A major problem is that the option which locks the trigger to the AF is not part of custom settings, so to switch from static to dynamic I have to go through the menus. This is annoying e.g. when you spot wildlife while doing landscape and wish to perform the change very quickly. I hoped that they fixed this problem with the a6600, but... they didn't. Furthermore the menus are different, so changing the option requires different operations on the thee bodies. Too complex! So I'm trying to change approach: AF always locked to the trigger and I switch back and forth from/to MF when recomposing. Straightforward, but after twenty years in the other way I have to get acquainted with it.
I can tell you two preliminary things about the a6600:

1. picking the focusing spot with the touchpad seems ok and it's time saving, as I expected.
  2. I got some blurry shots which I didn't expected with the IBIS activated. I need to understand this better.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice to buy: Sony a6500 or a6600? - by davidmanze - 05-31-2021, 04:20 PM
RE: Advice to buy: Sony a6500 or a6600? - by davidmanze - 06-05-2021, 07:41 AM
RE: Advice to buy: Sony a6500 or a6600? - by stoppingdown - 06-05-2021, 09:55 AM