The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.8 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I rejoin the system 16 years later...
Lightbulb 
Once upon a time, when I was working at a newspaper in St. Pete's - to be precise, just starting there on what ended up to be a 10 years' journey - I was given my first taste of "proper" cameras, DSLRs of course, by using the Nikon D70 the paper owned. The lenses were lousy: the Sigma 18-50/3.5-5.6 and the truly mediocre 28-300; then, the Nikon 24-85/2.8-4 which was better but still pretty unremarkable.

A short while later, in March 2006, I bought my first DSLR, the Minolta Dynax 7D, but my run with that system was also short, until April 2007 when I switched to Canon, and have been using the system in various shapes for 15+ years. The most remarkable and consistent items in the pack were, in order of appearance, were the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS (bought in June 2008), the Sigma 14mm f/2.8 HSM, and then the 16-35/4 L IS lens and the 1D Mark IV camera, all of which are in use today.

Lately, however, I've gotten the itch to upgrade again. And while the financial situation has not been too rosy, somehow I set my sights at the topmost target... One not in my "brand of choice", to boot. And got through with it in the end.

Enter... Nikon Z9.

The plan is to use it with all the Canon optics I have, and alongside the 1D Mark IV. The second camera I've had, the Canon 80D, will sadly have to go, probably. But with today's inter-adaptability, I think I'll make due just fine, especially since the first tests done with the Z9 + Fringer adapter + Canon 16-35/4 lens have been very encouraging.

The rotation direction will be a thing to keep an eye on, however. Smile

EDIT: I've tested most of my lenses upon returning to St. Pete's (and of course the first to be mounted on the new camera was the EF 24-85/3.5-4.5, what else). The first negative surprise is that the old Sigma 14mm f/2.8 doesn't work, at least not stopped down - something makes a few pained noises, but there's no shot. Guess its provenance as the Sigma film lens from the 90s has finally caught up to it. Wide open, it works, if the wide open pictures from this lens are to be considered "working". Bummer... at this rate, I might let this lens go if anyone'll have it, because what's the point of the 14mm lens when you can't use it on the format that gives the widest coverage? I might just as well use the 16-35 on the Z9...

EDIT2: Alright, there'll be clemency for the Sigma... turns out the adapter was not running the latest firmware, and updating it to 1.70 has resolved the issue.

Messages In This Thread
I rejoin the system 16 years later... - by Rover - 11-13-2022, 03:23 AM