Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you rate the MFT market position today?
Firstly, hello, this is my first post here, I have found the site a wonderful resource for a while now. I am very much an amateur and make no claims to be much of a photographer but I do love taking photographs and it is a counter part to two other interests/passions of mine - aircraft and wildlife.

I have been thinking of MFT lately. My current camera is an old Fujifilm XE2 which owes me nothing, to rejuvenate it when I started taking a lot more pictures and needed longer reach after moving from Europe to Asia I bought a Tamron 18 - 300 lens, I know to serious enthusiasts the combination of an ancient XE2 and Tamron superzoom wouldn't be at all impressive (quite the opposite) but it has allowed me to take pictures I never imagined possible and the results have been very acceptable. My limitations as a photographer make more of an impact than the camera or lens. However, given how much I now use my camera (I travel a am surrounded by photo opportunities) I am planning to buy a new camera. I'm not that invested in the Fujifilm X system so am looking at all options.

For me, and my own needs and type of photography the MFT format is ideal. I need long reach, am because I travel a lot weight and volume matter (the big deal of the Tamron for me is that although it is heavy and bulky I can literally manage everything I do with just one lens), which are big attributes of MFT. OM-D and Panasonic/Leica make some superb lenses which are compact and if not cheap are pretty competitive with good APS-C lenses and which can be a lot cheaper than full frame equivalents. However I do worry about whether I'd be buying into an 'orphan' system which may fade away. The counter argument is that if I buy a nice body (something like the really rather wonderful OM-1 or a G9) and the lenses I need then does it matter if manufacturers move on? I'm not into quick rotation of gear and I plan to buy something nice without going silly to get plenty of use from it.

Given all the above I am looking at the OM-1, G9 and G9M2 with a view to jumping into MFT.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How would you rate the MFT market position today? - by JBradshaw - 01-13-2024, 03:39 AM
RE: How would you rate the MFT market position today? - by davidmanze - 02-03-2024, 08:20 AM