Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ?
...I'll tell you what I was shooting today.  A crystal decanter with stars of various colors.  I lined them with a diagonal row of crystal candlestick holders.  I wanted to see what would happen with the out of focus highlights, of course.  You probably can guess where I am going....

First I took normal PD photos.  I tried exposure compensating in both directions.  Nothing changed.  I don't know why, but with the PD all those beautiful colors were just pinpoints of brightness.

Then I used my type of focus that the live view has.  There were beautiful colors from the crystals. 

Just now I got out my bright LED flashlight.  5,000 Lumens bright.  I won't bore you with the details other than to say that I put it in shutter priority and shined the light on it to see if the diaphragm would get smaller.  5,000 Lumen is pretty brutal.  Those little LED flashlights that run on three AAA batteries put out about 80 Lumen.  Yet the diaphragm staid wide open.

There is a lesson here.  You guys provided the facts, and they check out.  And I think it is pretty obvious.  Oh, for fun I did take an exposure.  I'm pretty sure you know what happened, since it is consistent with the crystal flare phenomenon. 

What I saw in the preview is what I got in the capture.  I guarantee you I did not look through the optical viewer...or take a picture...wait...I wonder...

Messages In This Thread
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ? - by davidmanze - 08-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ? - by Studor13 - 08-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ? - by wojtt - 08-09-2016, 08:29 PM
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ? - by Studor13 - 08-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Do we really need ultra fast lenses for portraits ? - by Arthur Macmillan - 08-13-2016, 09:47 AM