Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
focus screen for Canon 5D
Joju, I may understand what you are saying.  My fear for a while has been that they will use the feedback from the lens to make different Micro Focus Adjustments based on, not just the lens, but the F-stop, and the distance of the in focus area from the field plain.

One of the things that erks me is that the camera does not communicate object distance and record it in EXIF.  You may ask why should it?  Well, because it can.  In the Magic Lantern hack one of the things you can have displayed in real time is the distance of the in focus area from the image plane,

But anyway, along with other tools for live view focus determination when focused on a suitable target, you have a means by which the camera could do many different adjustments for the same lens so that even though the camera may be PD focusing at f/2.8 it determines you are shooting at f/8 so adjusts the focus for that lens at that focus distance at that F-stop. 

This is something of a mixed blessing because for the first time you have a real shot a very good focus.  Plus, the would be no need for you do any work beyond set up a suitable target and let the camera compare and adjust until CF and PDF are in complete agreement across the entire F-stop range.  Possible at a set number of different distances between MFD and Hyperfocus distance.

So in this scenario manual focus will still be possible to some extent with a lot more effort, but after which time you could rely on the AFC (auto focus confirmation) for a good result.  But I suppose the real news is that faster lens designs would be possible...

-----

We never covered optical magnifier viewers.  They are hard to use with glasses, but if you don't wear glasses you can get much improved focus results. 

Messages In This Thread
focus screen for Canon 5D - by toni-a - 08-04-2016, 07:58 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Brightcolours - 08-07-2016, 07:13 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by obican - 08-07-2016, 11:41 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Brightcolours - 08-08-2016, 07:35 AM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by obican - 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Brightcolours - 08-08-2016, 03:25 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by wim - 08-11-2016, 08:49 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Arthur Macmillan - 08-13-2016, 09:25 PM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by JJ_SO - 08-14-2016, 12:18 AM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Arthur Macmillan - 08-14-2016, 05:29 AM
focus screen for Canon 5D - by Brightcolours - 08-14-2016, 07:40 AM