Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you thought the $11K Noctilux 50/0.95 was expensive...
Quote: Everything Leica is overpriced, but in the past you got decades of camera use and still had a camera that was worth what you paid for it.....

...knowing now that you get stung and lose a fortune on a new body in a matter of a couple of years,  probably makes it easier to swallow (or choke on) the exorbitant prices they charge for their lenses! 
Well, if you allow me to modify the old adage - "with great money comes great prodigality". Smile I cannot imagine spending that amount of money on very modest (stat-wise) gear that would, to boot, impair, not improve my ability to take pictures. If I had had tens of thousands of dollars, I would've built a house or a road, or - more likely - given these money to my parents or charitable causes. If I had absolutely had to spend that on something photography-related, I would've gotten myself a Canon 1D X II or a Sony A7R Mark III and embarked on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to some faraway and harsh land like Western China or the Antarctic. Big Grin

Guess we'll never know what goes through the brain of a die-hard Leica user.

P. S. Regarding your "a couple of years" notice... well, haven't we long since reached the point when improvements in new gear (within the same system) are incremental, not revolutionary, anyway? It's been a while since there has appeared a feature that drastically changed the shooting experience to the better, and most reasonably upmarket bodies released since about 2010 have been perfectly adequate since for anything but the most bleeding-edge tasks. Guess it ain't so in the Leica world and it still takes them more time to evolve to where the others have been for years... and you have to pay huge extra for that evolutionary sluggishness! The mind boggles.

Messages In This Thread
If you thought the $11K Noctilux 50/0.95 was expensive... - by davidmanze - 12-01-2017, 10:31 AM
If you thought the $11K Noctilux 50/0.95 was expensive... - by Rover - 12-02-2017, 09:49 AM