Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR
Well, the only person deciding which is lowlight and which is DoF centric, is you, Klaus. I say, DoF is by far less important than speed of a lens. DoF is nothing to be used with some precision. if I want everything sharp from  that stone to a branch 65 cm behind the stone - and I want it really sharp and not just sort of less blurry than the rest of the picture; i have to go either Scheimpflug or focusstacking, everything else I see as cooking fog.

I think, this is my main concern about that equivalencing business. Depending on lens type, aperture and focal length we get different bokehs, different to compare and to rate, at least I never saw a rating in points, numbers or even of a rough five star range, when it comes to different blurrs at different apertures. So, if you don't have a DoF rating scale (maybe you do and I just didn't pay attention to it), I simply see no reason why prioritizing DoF against speed should be valid. Speed is important  - it can make a difference bewteen "handheld" and "tripod necessary".

I don't know acting photographers closing the aperture for 1 1/3 stop more because that makes soooo much a difference in the resulting picture. That can effect only be seen in the final print, not on the camera LCD or in the viewfinder. I don't k now if any of us could detect the difference of 1 stop more or less in terms of DoF, but one stop faster makes a difference to me.

I also was looking at the other offers, the 70-200/4 and /2.8 and the Olympus 40-150 (which again is equivalented as 80-300 on FF). I think the offernings are roughly comparable in terms of price - the Nikon 70-200/4 comes without a collar, add that cost and you pay more or less the same - although it's not necessary or helpful, that Nikon collar. Due to the soft plastic tube, the stiff collar holds a soft tube which wobbles and is not helping to camera shake.

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR - by JJ_SO - 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM