Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony α6600, α6100, 16-55G, 70-350G announced
You want to compare the new Sony to the 2 yo 6D mk II and pretend no advances have been made with the Canon AF since then? Really? The 6D mk II is NOT the best DPAF implementation.

And sure, talking about moving goal posts... First you talk about vlogging camera, then say action/AF-C is "more to the point"...
[quote='Brightcolours' pid='48367' dateline='1567150210']
You want to  compare the new Sony to the 2 yo 6D mk II and pretend no advances have been made with the Canon AF since then? Really? The 6D mk II is NOT the best DPAF implementation.

And sure, talking about moving goal posts... First you talk about vlogging camera, then say action/AF-C is "more to the point"...
[/quote

It's more than just a vlogging camera .........

I didn't choose the comparison ...... it chose me ...... but surely you must have noticed the performance of the A6600 it worked pretty much flawlessly ....... or didn't you want to notice BC?

.......no doubt there will be many more of them comparing the latest Canons with their latest offerings.

Again when the A6400 came out the utube question was asked ....

"Was it the best vlogging camera?"

In general the lack of IBIS lost it the accolade ....... this time round it has it ....... and it might well get it !!

The important thing for me (if I was in the market for one) is,  the fact that it's Sony's AF is just way better than Canon's and Nikon's ........

...... which is no surprise as they have been perfecting it longer.

PS. Despite of the lack of real real estate they managed everything including an "EVF" a mic and a headphone socket .... unlike the Canon M6 II which you have to have a clip on an EVF and of course there's no headphone socket as usual (that might cost 10 cents) ..... you have use a cabled adapter if you want monitor the sound.

Sony wants to give everything ....... Canon the bland brand doesn't !!
I watched the 1st part and only noticed that they were more testing AF-C than anything else, and Canon with video chooses the make SMOOTH transitions which make it so nice for video, and use different algorithms for photo subject tracking.

So. What do you want? You said the Sony had everything perfect for vlogging. That is what I reacted to. That you now "attack" what I wrote about with totally other things in mind, is just the moving goal post I mentioned. And as I pointed out, the 6D mk II is NOT the camera to use when looking how AF compares (even though it does rather well anyway).

Yes, the Sony does many things well. And the Canon M6 mk II has its own plus points too.

And I do not understand why one would feel the need for IBIS over in lens IS for vlogging, at all.
As an owner of both Canon and Sony, I can say both would do the job very well, my A6000 never disappointed me foe video.
The major drawback with Sony isn't autofocus, but reliability issues (my A6000 has needed repairs several times for known issues like shutter button failure, the kit lens has died) and most important overheating: after 20 minutes of use even if not continuous my A6000 overheats and will need at least half an hour to be operational again and that is at least for me a major drawback.
What's the point of an excellent camera if it's "frozen from overheating" such a cool phrase ?
(08-30-2019, 10:16 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I watched the 1st part and only noticed that they were more testing AF-C than anything else, and Canon with video chooses the make SMOOTH transitions which make it so nice for video, and use different algorithms for photo subject tracking.

So. What do you want? You said the Sony had everything perfect for vlogging. That is what I reacted to. That you now "attack" what I wrote about with totally other things in mind, is just the moving goal post I mentioned. And as I pointed out, the 6D mk II is NOT the camera to use when looking how AF compares (even though it does rather well anyway).

Yes, the Sony does many things well. And the Canon M6 mk II has its own plus points too.

And I do not understand why one would feel the need for IBIS over in lens IS for vlogging, at all.

There's smooth and missed it ..... certainly the A6600 did better than the 6D II .......which is already pretty good ..... there will be a slew of comparisons soon .... so we will see... I see no benefit trying to convince otherwise.
  Sure the old problem of jello still exists .....  we will need faster scan speeds for any improvement there certainly.
  But 700-800 shots per battery ..... face /eye AF which works  etc.

So, let us be patient and see the facts ..... I have no dog in this fight as I shoot Nikon .... Sony's tech though is fascinating that's for sure..... tech interests me .... and Sony is all about tech.
One more reliability issue with Sony....
https://fstoppers.com/originals/does-son...iii-402365
Good performance is nice but reliability is essential at least for me, reviews can be praising and specs epic but a camera is useful for nothing if it's at the repairs.....
(08-30-2019, 07:45 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 10:16 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I watched the 1st part and only noticed that they were more testing AF-C than anything else, and Canon with video chooses the make SMOOTH transitions which make it so nice for video, and use different algorithms for photo subject tracking.

There's smooth and missed it ..... certainly the A6600 did better than the 6D II .......which is already pretty good ..... there will be a slew of comparisons soon .... so we will see... I see no benefit trying to convince otherwise.
  Sure the old problem of jello still exists .....  we will need faster scan speeds for any improvement there certainly.

So, let us be patient and see the facts ..... I have no dog in this fight as I shoot Nikon .... Sony's tech though is fascinating that's for sure..... tech interests me .... and Sony is all about tech.
You either don't read, or you are trolling me?
Vlogging is about video. Not about missing the action shot. Canon's PDAF is the best for video, and you posted about vlogging.

The 6D mk II is not the best/fastest PDAF photo AF implementation from Canon. Which is a totally different discussion.

Vlogging is about video. Not about missing the action shot. Canon's PDAF is the best for video, and you posted about vlogging.

The 6D mk II is not the best/fastest PDAF photo AF implementation from Canon. Which is a totally different discussion.
(08-31-2019, 06:37 AM)Brightcolours Wrote:

Yes I do read and no I'm not trolling ! (a loathsome word IMHO)

Maybe I got it wrong but the linked video was about vlogging/video was it not?
You think video is about s snapping in focus as fast as possible? Ever watched any series or movie?
I do not know what the maker of the video was thinking when making the video, I stopped watching after the 1st few minutes. All I saw was small screens showing basically the same, with some voice yelling A6600 all the time, even if that was NOT clear cut at all. Anyway, it is not about video, but about focus tracking/face recognition when using live view.

For video, you want smooth focus changes, with no jumping or hesitation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRULcBRBgdk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX58YoHwVfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmimUTeP_aI
I see what your saying BC ..... further reviews site problems with jello!