•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm almost wondering ...
By now, I'm almost convinced that Pentax knows what they are doing.
They are not stranded with huge production capacities during the current crisis.
I reckon they are just producing small batches - enough not to die and sufficient to survive.

To be honest - if I was interested in a DSLR, I would probably buy the KP.
The 15mm, 18-50mm, 70mm f/2.4 and 55-300mm RE would be a neat combo for me.

I've to admit that the 55-300mm RE slipped my attention. I wasn't aware that they have this miniature lens in their lineup.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(04-01-2020, 10:34 PM)Klaus Wrote: ...
To be honest - if I was interested in a DSLR, I would probably buy the KP.
The 15mm, 18-50mm, 70mm f/2.4 and 55-300mm RE would be a neat combo for me.

I've to admit that the 55-300mm RE slipped my attention. I wasn't aware that they have this miniature lens in their lineup.
Welcome to the "I probably would buy X if..."-club, counting gazillion internet posters and making manufacturers really nervous about what they missed to do this time.

Tongue There probably is only one way wasting more useless energy than "probably buying/doing" which is "not probably, but for real answering to this scenarios" Undecided
(04-01-2020, 10:26 PM)Kunzite Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 07:42 PM)toni-a Wrote: On a 85f1.4 SLRs have no chance vs mirrorless so why invest there ???
Nonsense.

In my own humble experience, with 85mmf1.8 I had a lot of misfocused shots, on DSLRs, even on my 7D2 that has one of the best AF systems I found myself using live view to get better AF accuracy
As an owner of a DSLR and a mirrorless body, eye autofocus is a game changer, as well as focus peaking
Since I have a mirrorless body I never mounted my 85mmf1.8 on a DSLR.
I always prefer using two camera bodies for events like weddings
Usually camera 1 is 7D2 with 24-105 or 15-85 plus a speedlite
Camera 2 is EOS RP plus fast primes for shallow DOF and ambiant light shots
(04-02-2020, 08:42 AM)toni-a Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 10:26 PM)Kunzite Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 07:42 PM)toni-a Wrote: On a 85f1.4 SLRs have no chance vs mirrorless so why invest there ???
Nonsense.

In my own humble experience, with 85mmf1.8 I had a lot of misfocused shots,  on DSLRs, even on my 7D2 that has one of the best AF systems I found myself using live view to get better AF accuracy
As an owner of a DSLR  and a mirrorless body, eye autofocus is a game changer, as well as focus peaking
Since I have a mirrorless body I never mounted my 85mmf1.8  on a DSLR.
I always prefer using two camera bodies for events like weddings
Usually camera 1 is 7D2 with 24-105 or 15-85 plus  a speedlite
Camera 2 is EOS RP plus fast primes for shallow DOF and ambiant light shots

This is silly nonsense Tony !!.....we are talking about Pentax's lens range and how they can produce the most needed glass without risking their livelihood .........
.......and you "blurt out" about how wonderful Canon MLs are and how it is a waste of time shooting with DSLRs!! 
   You're saying nothing about Pentax and everything about your "wedding photography and the wonderful world of Canon ML"..... wonderful  though that world may be ..... many including I, are not in the slightest bit interested in taking a zillion boring images of the "happy day" ....... in focus or out of focus!
   I have the D750 which funnily enough has face and eye detection in the OVF and if I can't get the eye in focus 8 out of 10 times ..... it's me that needs a checkup from the neckup ....... not the camera!
Perhaps Canon's AF at that time was not good .... certainly their sensors were well below average !!
Dave's clichés
Good point, davidmanze - this should be about Pentax and what can they do to: a. serve their users' needs, and b. survive.
Mirrorless propaganda is just that;  never helpful, only tries to destroy other choices.

toni_a: fast lenses were available during the entire history of autofocus SLRs; they're a known quantity. You pretending only f/4 and slower lenses could possibly work...
And wasn't Canikon's SLR AF supposed to be perfect (or close to perfect)? That's what we've been told for decades! Tongue
I registered just for this message. What's the point in speculating on Pentax's Impeding "Doom" ™ ? I have bought a Pentax system 10 years ago and Pentax is still around. Aside continuous auto focus I don't see any shortcomings compared to other brands. My 2 cents.
(04-02-2020, 10:32 AM)Kunzite Wrote: Good point, davidmanze - this should be about Pentax and what can they do to: a. serve their users' needs, and b. survive.
Mirrorless propaganda is just that;  never helpful, only tries to destroy other choices.

toni_a: fast lenses were available during the entire history of autofocus SLRs; they're a known quantity. You pretending only f/4 and slower lenses could possibly work...
And wasn't Canikon's SLR AF supposed to be perfect (or close to perfect)? That's what we've been told for decades! Tongue

I have been (and I am still) a DSLR user since 2003
actually my fast primes are all EF and not RF
I have used them on both system and found mirrorless to be better for fast primess
of course you can still use them on DSLRs
if I had a 85f1.4 I would prefer using it on a mirrorless body rather than a DSLR
and this is not only for autofocus also note on DSLR you need a focusing screen to be able to do manual focus none of it on mirrorless cameras
you have Pentax 50mm f1.4 check the DOF in your viewfinder using DOF preview button, you will note that faster than f2,8 DOF won't get thinner in the viewfinder (it will in pictures though) that's because the focusing screen is thick to get brighter, so how do you expect to do manual focus using this lens on DSLR (unless you are ready to change the focus screen and live witha dim viewfinder)
Yes for fast primes when focus precision is needed mirrorless is better.
MyselfI use my DSLR and keep mirrorless at home for sports, birding, hiking and social and events photography if I am planning to use flash
I used for a long time fast primes on DSLR and like you I use to think they were excellent for the job till I tried mirrorless
(04-02-2020, 03:16 PM)toni-a Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 10:32 AM)Kunzite Wrote: Good point, davidmanze - this should be about Pentax and what can they do to: a. serve their users' needs, and b. survive.

I have been (and I am still) a DSLR user since 2003
actually my fast primes are all EF and not RF
I have used them on both system and found mirrorless to be better for fast primess
of course you can still use them on DSLRs
if I had a 85f1.4 I would prefer using it on a mirrorless body rather than a DSLR
and this is not only for autofocus also note on DSLR you need a focusing screen to be able to do manual focus none of it on mirrorless cameras
you have Pentax 50mm f1.4 check the DOF in your viewfinder using DOF preview button, you will note that faster than f2,8 DOF won't get thinner in the viewfinder (it will in pictures though) that's because the focusing screen is thick to get brighter, so how do you expect to do manual focus using this lens on DSLR (unless you are ready to change the focus screen and live witha dim viewfinder)
Yes for fast primes when focus precision is needed mirrorless is better.
MyselfI use my DSLR and keep mirrorless at home for sports, birding, hiking and social and events photography if I am planning to use flash
I used for a long time fast primes on DSLR and like you I use to think they were excellent for the job till I tried mirrorless
 .......I can see your gushing with enthusiasm for your new Canon ML camera .... "you must tell everyone everywhere" ..... right now !!

However, I cannot see any reason why anybody would want to read it in the Pentax section!
Dave's clichés
Hey it's about advantage of mirrorless for fast primes and and has nothing to do with Canon
(04-02-2020, 04:15 PM)toni-a Wrote: Hey it's about advantage of mirrorless for fast primes and and has nothing to do with Canon
Mirrorless propaganda has nothing to do with Pentax either. Only with your own prejudices.

Generally, we're better off without those "evangelists" pushing whatever new thing they discovered today. Most of us knows already about these new things, the much praised advantages and the ignored disadvantages. I believe I'm not alone wishing not to hear about it for the thousandth time.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next