• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > Tamron 50-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III VC VXD coming it seems
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/leaked-new-tamron-50-300mm-f-4-5-6-3-di-iii-vc-vxd/

FF it seems, but I reckon it's more aligned to APS-C. Or possible to combine with the 20-40mm?
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
If the existing 70-300 drops do the lower (price) tier, this could be more upscale than this, and way more compact than the 50-400.
I guess it is meant to mesh with the 17-50/4, like the 50-400.
My little bit of gripe is, would it hurt them (much) to go back to f/5.6 at the long end? Yeah, it's just 1/3 stop, but I thought as the scene evolves, lenses would be becoming faster, not slower. Smile
I actually like a little more overlap than the traditional 28-70 and 70-200 etc. I often wondered how they came up with that instead of a 28-105 and 50-200 as a paired set.

I agree with rover, I don't know if I would touch a 6.3 lens. Maybe I'm old school, but that seems odd. Moreso in that a lot of cameras would lose AF above 5.6
Uh, no mirrorless camera would "lose AF above f/5.6", that was what bottom tier DSLR did. But it's a little odd that lenses are becoming dimmer -- yet not much more compact. I would not go as far as saying that I might not want to touch an f/6.3 lens -- actually I have one of those, haha -- but it does raise eyebrows on my part. Especially things like f/4.5-6.3 (actually pretty much f/5-6.3) ultrawides with 2x range or less.
(06-02-2024, 08:57 AM)Rover Wrote: If the existing 70-300 drops do the lower (price) tier, this could be more upscale than this, and way more compact than the 50-400.
I guess it is meant to mesh with the 17-50/4, like the 50-400.
My little bit of gripe is, would it hurt them (much) to go back to f/5.6 at the long end? Yeah, it's just 1/3 stop, but I thought as the scene evolves, lensese would be becoming faster, not slower. Smile

The 17-50mm was a disappointment ... but yes, from a Tamron perspective, it would make sense.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I wonder why the industry settled on those specific ranges instead of something like a 28-105 and 50-200 lens set. I share the same hesitation as rover regarding a 6.3 maximum aperture lens. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but that seems like an unusual choice, especially given that many cameras may lose autofocus functionality above f/5.6.