Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED EZ
A tiny pancake but not a killer:

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/885_olympus1442f3556ez

bleh.

Hi Klaus

Thanks for your review. By now I got one myself as part of a kit. I am still wondering whether I should have gotten a manual zoom IIR version instead - but in the end novelity and a special offer price swayed me to it. Haven't really had time to assess it properly (short gray November days here). Though some tests with flash on bookshelfs indicate it is not a total dog. Distortion at wide is a bit of an issue. The power zoom has an edge when it comes to video - though it is only 3x and video quality is not a strong point of the Olympus body.

Also considering the not so high graphs, I think your samples are quite decent. The colours in your pics look pale to me - is that a converter issue or is that how it looks in summer down under? Are these eucalyptus?

Considering CA the latest bunch of Olympus (E-M1, E-M10 and E-PL7) are now finally autocorrecting. I don't notice any in OOC-JPEG, even at wide.

You say your sample has an issue and went for service. What's the reason?

Considering the build I think you are a bit lenient. I would mark it further down for the wobble.

How is field curvature with your sample? Couldn't find a comment on this.

I also got a 45/1.8 and just a few simple tests show that this plays in a different league - at least in-doors on a gray November day. 3.3 stops faster helps a lot Smile
enjoy
Hello

For the last couple of weeks I tried to get an OMD EM 10 with this lens as part of the kit.

I had to return my kit twice before getting one with a good copy of the lense.

My first copy of that zoom was quite decentered at 14 mm and good at 42 mm.

I returned it.

The second sample was the biggest lemon I ever had.

It was strongly decentred. 50% of the frame was very bad. I mean really bad.

It was not even required to zoom to see the issue.

I did change it for a third one that is perfect.

I find this lens impressive for its size, but apparently Olympus is having trouble making it.

Now I am quite happy and I will start building a complete gear in MFT.

Obvously I will continue to buy the next lenses in shop with a strong return policy.

Best regards

Emmanuel

Hi Photozone

The sample photos posted with this review are labelled as Panasonic DMC-GM1 - are the labels wrong, or are these the wrong samples?

Thanks

Nigel

Quote:Hi Photozone

The sample photos posted with this review are labelled as Panasonic DMC-GM1 - are the labels wrong, or are these the wrong samples?

Thanks

Nigel

We have used a variety of MFT cameras over the years for the sample images - GH3, GX1, GM1, GX7, E-M5 II.

For testing we used the GX1 and have now migrated to the E-M5 II.
Quote:We have used a variety of MFT cameras over the years for the sample images - GH3, GX1, GM1, GX7, E-M5 II.

For testing we used the GX1 and have now migrated to the E-M5 II.

At 40 MP?
enjoy
Quote:At 40 MP?

Naah ... I am not insane ;-)