Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive news from Fuji (Imaging)
Slightly increased revenues to 173 billion yen (+4%)

Massively increased profits to 12.3 billion yet (+170%) - although not impressive.

Increased sales target to 5mio X-cameras up from 4.6mio for this FY.

In the meanwhile Canon blamed mirrorless for shrinking business.

Corporate culture = Pointing fingers at others

Did you really expected Canon to say: The market is shrinking and we can't come up with new product, therefore we need to forgo profits.

Quote:Corporate culture = Pointing fingers at others

Did you really expected Canon to say: The market is shrinking and we can't come up with new product, therefore we need to forgo profits.

For years Canon did it very right. Now they are in mega-pixel frenzy mode rather than being innovative.

I am still baffled that they are afraid of pushing their own mirrorless system. Yes, if they do it will take business away from DSLRs but so what? As long as the company as a whole has benefits from this ...

I know Japanese companies a bit - they love their department silos. And the DSLR department is certainly shielding their silo from any internal threat at all costs. Unlike Canon, Sony wasn't successful with their DSLRs so they had a sufficient motivation to move on. 
Quote:Slightly increased revenues to 173 billion yen (+4%)

Massively increased profits to 12.3 billion yet (+170%) - although not impressive.

Increased sales target to 5mio X-cameras up from 4.6mio for this FY.

In the meanwhile Canon blamed mirrorless for shrinking business.
In the mean time. Or just "meanwhile". Wink

Where did Canon blame mirrorless? They blame (rightfully so) camera phones for the drop in compact camera sales. And the interchangable lens camera drop due to market shrinkage. 

Meanwhile, Sony is doing very well (sarcasm) with mirrorless:

27.2% drop of total camera sales, compared to Canon's 24% (-17% in interchangeable lens cameras).  Sony also blames market shrinkage.

Latest rumours in Canon-mirrorless-land are that there will be two "not so cheap" primes on the short term radar, as well as a higher end body. So still nowhere near the other mirrorless players but might give an indication of where they're going as we get more info.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
I don't think it would be so easy for Canon (or Nikon)... There are two options to go for: cancel the old product portfolio (DSLRs and their lenses) and switch to mirrorless, or add a serious mirrorless product to the existing portfolio.

The first option is a kind of revolution, which is hardly possible in short term. For starters, what about the existing products and their warranty liabilities... Or to whom they're going to sell the old products' rights (for a decent return on investment)? On top, add the cost of transformation of the existing facilities to mirrorless production.

The second option, I mean adding a "serious" mirrorless product in the existing portfolio sounds reasonable for a smooth transition. But definitely it would require a lot of money to invest, not to forget the issue about the fact that the newcomers can harm the market of their DSLRs in short/mid term.

Sony is big, I mean really big, but still they're not in nr1 position in the mirrorless market. They do play well because they have the financial power to keep the stage. Canon and Nikon are most probably doing their best not to miss the (mirrorless) train, but in the end I don't believe they're financially capable of such a transformation in such a short term like Sony did. As a regular consumer I would really love to see what these DSLR dinasours could bring to mirrorless market. Because I think the existing products from Fuji, Sony or Oly/Pana have all their issues considering what a FF DSLR user is looking for.

I personally would really love to see a mirrorless camera on the market; which is as beautiful as Fuji design promotes innovation (e.g. hybrid EVF, demosaicing), offers a lens collection (or video performance) like MFT does, and introduces larger sensors with a reasonable price like the Sony did already... I think this is neither a dream nor a remote possibility at all... It's just sharing the market for a best possible (and sustainable) profit.

From http://www.bythom.com/

Quote: 

Note: a number of photography sites are blindly repeating Reuters’ “…Canon profits down 21%...” claim, some even (incorrectly) attributing that to mirrorless cameras. Yes, you can find a -21% number in Canon’s reports: it is the year-to-date profit number versus last year for the entire company, not a quarterly decline in camera operations. Year to year, the results Canon just reported show third quarter camera unit volume down 7.6% and overall camera profits down 3.8%. Canon’s projections for the full year are a 10% decline in unit volume and 3.1% decline in profits for the camera group. Yes, Canon is under stress in the camera group. A far more troubling number than the other financial values in their report was the 16% increase in inventory in the camera group, which implies that Canon has been overproducing to demand. All that said, Canon still projects to sell far more DSLRs this year than the entire mirrorless camera market combined.

Recognising this thread is in the Fuji section, I'm going to try and restrain myself from further Canon commenting here.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:For years Canon did it very right. Now they are in mega-pixel frenzy mode rather than being innovative.

I am still baffled that they are afraid of pushing their own mirrorless system. Yes, if they do it will take business away from DSLRs but so what? As long as the company as a whole has benefits from this ...

I know Japanese companies a bit - they love their department silos. And the DSLR department is certainly shielding their silo from any internal threat at all costs. Unlike Canon, Sony wasn't successful with their DSLRs so they had a sufficient motivation to move on. 
Klaus, I agree with you, the last 10 (or so) years have been very exciting for us thanks to inovations (from film to dugital) and constant improvemnt in camera performance. The camera industry is at cross roads again and I am not sure Canon is ready to start from scratch as Fuji did.
Fuji only caters for a very small number of photographers with their current small body APS-C line up. They will have to start from scratch a 2nd time if they want to get a piece of the pie of the FF "mirrorless" market. Both Sony (E/FE) and Leica (T/S) made sure the mount leaves enough room for FF. The Canon EF-M mount is the same size as the Sony E-mount (and coincidently Nikon F-mount).

http://camerasize.com/compact/#624,520,351,ha,f

Notice the smaller mount compared to Sony E-mount.