Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nikon AF-S 200-500 f5.6E ED VR first review
Quote:Dear Nikon, why don't you take your cheap China junk
and trash it?

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/10/06/some-n...vice.aspx/

Together with this picture it's pure sarcasm - at least, who wants to rival crappy AF?

[Image: Nikkor-200-500mm-f5.6E-ED-VR-550x309.jpg]

Brain-amputated idiots, incompetent to learn from their mistakes. I'm sorry, but I'm embarrassed. It's a shame for us Nikon owners.

The problem description doesn't suggest anything significant IMHO.
Jumping into manual focus when zooming you don't find significant? Alright then... Significant or not, did you test many zoom lenses with that behavior? I find myself doing this insignificant thing - zooming a little bit while I keep pushed continuos AF  - doing quite often and I appreciate if a lens behaves just normal. "normal" like "not stopping to work". I still recall the time my last Nikon lens with an issue spent in the workshop, getting parts exchanged and waiting for firmware. I didn't like the fact to get a new lens which was unreliable.

I'm just more pleased with prodducts which were successfully finishing their beta-tests.

It looks like Nikon did it again.

Did they have a smooth launch of new product D800?
According to Them Hogan that will cost additional $30 for one way insured shipping.
Apparently that depends from the country. Here in Switzerland I got all costs covered and for sending the lens back to me. They even used a pretty expensive parcel service to make a delivery on Saturday. I'm not complaining about the lack of effort in handling the issues of their obviously unfinished products by their local contractors.

I complain about the motherhouse and their attitude of emitting products with quality issues. It is not much to test on a lens - at least not the millions of combinations of possible settings as their camera bodies offer. I also complain about the diminuishing of those problems when they say "some sample may not react as expected". I can do the testing myself. But then, Nikon, we're talking about a massive price reduction as I do your job. At premium price, I expect premium quality.

borisbg, since the D800 there were a couple, not to say the majority of release without any weird behaviors. Just doing what they were supposed to do.

Unfortunately Nikon acts as if there was no internet, no forums, no lens test pages, as if they just invite a bunch of journalists, bringt them to a nice place, add some lovely models and the "independent reports" would come for sure.
Quote:Jumping into manual focus when zooming you don't find significant? Alright then... Significant or not, did you test many zoom lenses with that behavior? I find myself doing this insignificant thing - zooming a little bit while I keep pushed continuos AF  - doing quite often and I appreciate if a lens behaves just normal. "normal" like "not stopping to work". I still recall the time my last Nikon lens with an issue spent in the workshop, getting parts exchanged and waiting for firmware. I didn't like the fact to get a new lens which was unreliable.

I'm just more pleased with prodducts which were successfully finishing their beta-tests.

Well, I could live without AF tracking during zooming. But we are all different. ;-)
Right, I could live without photography, lens tests, digital pictures and a lot of other stuff.

It's not the point what I need to live, the point is that the failure happens and has the potential to blur pictures. I expect an AF lens to AF in each combination except the ones I conciously switch off.

It's not as if I don't understand your frustration. I do. In fact rest assured that it hit me a couple of times.

However, this is still not comparable to the recent bubbles-on-sensor issue over at Canon, the brutal (and still unresolved) shutter-shock at Sony or even your average centering problem where something as simple as a firmware update isn't possible.

You may ask Nikon, however, why user-updates are still not possible for Nikkor lenses. It's not exactly science fiction.

I agree with user-update option, that would've seved time and furstration for both sides. I wonder how the dealers are handling this, since the product can be returned withing 15 days if something is wrong with it (US at least).

Klaus, I have answer for Sony - it is the hype now days "DSLR killer", "You can use your Leica lenses again..." And have you read on Lumunous Lindscapes about Sony's full frame cameras, At some point I thought the founder and the editor of the website will trade in their wifes for these cameras. After all this how can you complain about shutter shock.

Quote:I agree with user-update option, that would've seved time and furstration for both sides. I wonder how the dealers are handling this, since the product can be returned withing 15 days if something is wrong with it (US at least).

Klaus, I have answer for Sony - it is the hype now days "DSLR killer", "You can use your Leica lenses again..." And have you read on Lumunous Lindscapes about Sony's full frame cameras, At some point I thought the founder and the editor of the website will trade in their wifes for these cameras. After all this how can you complain about shutter shock.

Well, the shutter problem was fixed with the A7r II (and it didn't exist in the A7s).