Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Tamron twins: 35/1.8 and 45/1.8
The topic should be pretty self-explanatory: after a week or so of rumours and speculations, these lenses have been officially announced! In a nutshell: stabilized for Canon and Nikon, very modern styling, pretty large, 67mm filter thread on both (but this is really the same as the Canon 35/2 IS), focus pretty closely (would be enough to warrant a disingenuous "macro" designation from the Sigma of yore). Larded with special elements to boot, so the performance should be pretty good.

Oh, and the entry hurdle? $599 according to sources (but I'm not sure if the actual street price is going to be that high).

My take? The 45, I'm stoked. Time to retire the old, thrice trashed 50/1.8 II.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0524469...-di-vc-usd

Pretty cool lenses.

http://tamron-new-sp.eu/#/

The 35mm f1.8 VC seems to have very smooth / nice bokeh? Pretty cool. The 45mm not so much.

I'd pass on the 45mm one myself, and get the 35mm f1.8.

Looks like the "Global Vision" treatment that Sigma dished upon their lenses gave Tamron the itch for something similar. Well, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". Big Grin

One thing that got me scratching my head (from your link, Brightcolours) was the "Designed in Japan" inscription. Designed in Japan but made... where? (not that it matters a lot, I'm just curious).

Made in Japan (says that on the left of "Designed in Japan")  Wink

And another excellent marketing babble was:

Quote:The company has said that it wanted to create lenses with 'characteristics certain to set them distinctively apart from ordinary, conventional models' 

Hell, yeaah! Whatever flaws those lenses might have or not, is for distinctively apart from the ordinary characteristics.  Big Grin Clever guys over a Tammy. I must say, they are nice to look at. Simple, clear, straightforward.

IR played with both lenses on 50MP camera. They look sharp and render quite nicely.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/201...ime-lenses

Not that I"m going to be a serious prospective customer( I'm now committed to Nikon's AF-D range S/H) but the quality from Sigma is coming at a high size weight price without VR, if Tamron could keep their lenses a little more compact with VR this would throw a further spanner into the works! Perfection is approaching now we need compactness back on the map again, I've been looking at size/weight/price and there's still a lot to be said for buying AF-D lens S/H!  

Quote:Made in Japan (says that on the left of "Designed in Japan")  Wink
Ah, I missed that small print. Smile Wonder why they had to stress "Designed in Japan" then?  :wacko:
Quote:Not that I"m going to be a serious prospective customer( I'm now committed to Nikon's AF-D range S/H) but the quality from Sigma is coming at a high size weight price without VR, if Tamron could keep their lenses a little more compact with VR this would throw a further spanner into the works! Perfection is approaching now we need compactness back on the map again, I've been looking at size/weight/price and there's still a lot to be said for buying AF-D lens S/H!  
Be sure to get a Micro-Nikkor 55mm f2.8. Light, well built, well sharp with nice bokeh, very nice MF feel and 1:2 macro or 1:1 with its PK-13 extension tube.
Aren't these a little ... ah ... large for f/1.8 ?

While 'Art'-like, still no statement about improved QC (and yes, Tamron, you could also do some homework on this ...).

It was also about time that they improved their rather crappy finish honestly speaking.