Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live-view to tablet ?
Deleted.

Yes, couple of weeks ago I found an article about that. Told, with an USB-OTG (on the go) adapter, the right camera and an android Asus tablet next to an app that would be possible. It didn't tell which app, though - there are gazillions around if I search for "USB OTG Asus Nikon".

[Image: value-usb-20-kabel-a-micro-015m-schwarz-...-kabel.png]

Yesterday my colleague showed me his Samsung tablet with an app and this adapter getting LV from a D7000. D810 struggled a bit. He thinks it's the USB 2.0 adapter vs. the USB 3.0 output, but I don't think so. Can ask him which app he uses, but it worked very well and had on his D7000 more functions than CamRanger.

I use the CamRanger solution with an iPad, bloody expensive and although WLAN, (too) many cables are involved. So, I'm already on the edge to buy one of these crappy Android plastic things and an USB OTG cable (there are also plug-socket connectors) to get LiveView in the field.

Just saw in Google playstore, there's even Helicon remote available - focus stacking in the field without laptop, yeah! Maybe it even works...

Quote:Deleted.
This USB On-The_Go adaptors have the benefit that you can use your normal camera USB cable and plug it in. And since Nikon uses 3 different USB-connectors, I only have to buy the adpter once.

Quote:Deleted.
Maybe somebody drops in telling us if there's USB-OTG for iOS, but so far I only know two solutions: The CamRanger - I leave if at home quite often although I carry an iPad Mini or an iPod touch with me. But usually the battery of CamRanger empties quickly or is already dead if I leave it in the device.

Or Manfrotto's digital director another expensive thing. With some added value: being the only iOS device with USB-OTG, couple of extra functions are explained for Canon cameras, Nikon usually is worse. All that features at the cost of a highly customized holder, one for iPad Air, the other Air2. And that's it. If there's an Air3: get a new adapter. License for printing money... I recall it an expensive setup, but didn't find a price today.

Likely with Samsung - USB-OTG: D7000 working alright, not so well: D7100, D750, D810. If I had an Android device, I'd give it a go - but I don't because I didn't want the whole virus protection process getting over and over again, I don't want a highly vulnerable device and even if it's dirt cheap, it will become waste quite soon.

Don't know if I am on the wrong path but I have a TP-Link TL-MR3040 modem which works with a D800, and AFAIK will work with Canon.

You need an app from a guy at Dslrdashboard to make it all work with a phone/tablet. Free for Android but 10$ for iOS.

Modem is hard wired to your camera and you then connect to the modem wirelessly to your phone and have complete control. That is, change aperture, ISO and really just about everything.

You even get auto focus outside of the standard points in the camera. In fact, you can get auto focus on every single point on your tablet.

I only used it once or twice but stopped using it when I got a D600 which has a tiny wifi unit compared to the TP-Link modem, which is the size of a small non-smart phone.

If you want I can offer it to you for say 20€. They cost between 40-50$ on the 'Bay.
The point is only to get LiveView. WiFi or not doesn't matter or is an additional feature with lots of additional itches: extra power source (read "battery"), connection between tablet and transmitter, fixing of the transmitter. I' we CamRanger which does the same at an overprice. One USB cable, a tablet and that should do. No additional cables, no more devices and batteries.
Deleted.

Which Canon app you are referring to?