Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas for a program to make simple collages/image medleys?
Hi guys,

I had been doing some collage style prints a few years back using an old "microsoft word" type program called "Star Office", it came with my first tower computer, so it's fossilising nicely.

Now I want to do the same again, so I reinstalled Star Office to find that surprisingly, that it still installed on Windows 7 (which I use).

It enables you to copy and paste multiple photos on the same page, resize and position them individually and keep the result as a single file.........all that is great and the result pleases parents who get the whole "clan" together on one nice print.

The only problem is no other PP program can open the file and when it comes to printing I only have the choice of tapping "print" from the Star Office file menu......it works but the resulting print has a wide top and bottom border, wasting print space, there is no way to resize the output size.

So I'm looking for another program be it photographic or a word type program, where the output is recognized like a normal image in Photoshop!

I know it's a little off topic but hey, any knowledgeable help/advice would be appreciated! 

Oh and have a good weekend!

How about opening a bunch of those images in PS, do the PP you want/need, create a big empty whichever aspect ratio is needed PS canvas, select/copy/paste the images in sequence in PS. You can resize the image layers individually, and move them around too. 

I bet the output will be recognized by photoshop Wink

Ok thanks BC!... I will have to give that a try.....BTW. the images have been processed already....

so the select/copy/paste will be a simple thing....I did try a couple of times....but...

you know how it is with old dogs and new tricks.........

perhaps that's why I'm barking mad!  :o

Doesn't star office allow you to save a PDF?

I can't find anywhere in the program to change the output format JoJu and I'm pretty certain that 

the format is SXW.......it was created by Star Office......and it is also used by Open Office.

In Windows you install PDF-printer drivers to "save" as PDF. Mac OS is better at PDF, as it is its native screen language.

Thanks BC...I've downloaded PDF drivers for Windows....I'm kinda of the opinion PS won't open swx files....the printer reads them though......however, it's late now!