Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Nikkors coming
The fact that the 200-500mm has a fixed aperture of F5.6 is very interesting indeed compared with the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm F6.3 offerings.................

However,I know I'm getting old and senile but...................................

what happened to the reviews of the Tamron/Sigma 150-600mm lenses that were promised/announced/due to be tested here?

...............................................or have they dropped off the board?

They are on their way after Klaus fixes the server stuff, I am sure.

I'm a bit suspicious about that 200-500/5.6

It appears to be a miracle how much Nikon is asking for their new 500 and 600 lenses  - only for the update there's a price difference to the old version one could buy this 200-500 as well. So, there's no free lunch and I'm looking forward to read what will be the downsides?

It's a bit heavier than it's 150-600 rivals (except the Sports version from Sigma). Closest focal distance is 2.2 m vs. 2.6 m (Sigma) which is nice for butterflies.

[Image: _JOJ2809-M.jpg]

I haven't seen a picture of the lens at full extension and I wonder if the tripod collar is sufficent to hold it. There's a zoom lock on the Sigma and it is needed, I have to lock at 600 mm when I want to snap the moon.

Also, my experience with the new VR of  the 300/4 PF E was not that exciting. The lens remained a month at Nikon until they got the firmware delivered and in it's repair report they mentioned a lot of parts. And I'm not confident about the "weak shutter times". Those are improved but taking a picture with 1/125 is gambling, at least with my hands. Therefore not only a software update. I hope they learnt their lesson, but for sure, I wouldn't run for it even if I hadn't got the Sigma after 8 months wait.

Good thing with Nikon is: Announcement and rollout are close, question is only if they have enough units in supply.

I'm a bit hesitating to post a link to my testshots with the Sigma as I'm a total newbie with lenses > 200 mm. But maybe there a re other newbies as well, so from newbie to newbie: https://sojujo.smugmug.com/Testshots/Sig...600-Sports

Most of them are crops, as 600 mm might be enough for experienced birders (where I'm also a newbie). But I do see them in a distance...  :mellow:

Quote:I'm a bit suspicious about that 200-500/5.6

It appears to be a miracle how much Nikon is asking for their new 500 and 600 lenses  - only for the update there's a price difference to the old version one could buy this 200-500 as well. So, there's no free lunch and I'm looking forward to read what will be the downsides?

It's a bit heavier than it's 150-600 rivals (except the Sports version from Sigma). Closest focal distance is 2.2 m vs. 2.6 m (Sigma) which is nice for butterflies.

[Image: _JOJ2809-M.jpg]

I haven't seen a picture of the lens at full extension and I wonder if the tripod collar is sufficent to hold it. There's a zoom lock on the Sigma and it is needed, I have to lock at 600 mm when I want to snap the moon.

Also, my experience with the new VR of  the 300/4 PF E was not that exciting. The lens remained a month at Nikon until they got the firmware delivered and in it's repair report they mentioned a lot of parts. And I'm not confident about the "weak shutter times". Those are improved but taking a picture with 1/125 is gambling, at least with my hands. Therefore not only a software update. I hope they learnt their lesson, but for sure, I wouldn't run for it even if I hadn't got the Sigma after 8 months wait.

Good thing with Nikon is: Announcement and rollout are close, question is only if they have enough units in supply.

I'm a bit hesitating to post a link to my testshots with the Sigma as I'm a total newbie with lenses > 200 mm. But maybe there a re other newbies as well, so from newbie to newbie: https://sojujo.smugmug.com/Testshots/Sig...600-Sports

Most of them are crops, as 600 mm might be enough for experienced birders (where I'm also a newbie). But I do see them in a distance...  :mellow:
  We will have to wait and see how the Nikon shapes up, in terms of  VR, I have the AFS 70-300mm which works well but Nikon have this area around 1/160 sec which produces soft results and is best kept clear of, ( maybe a conflict of frequency of the VR system)  However it will be competing with the Tamron who's VC is in question when panning.

When shooting BIF VR is of little consequence as shutter speeds need to be nearer 1/2000 sec to keep beating wings sharp and even at those speeds the Tamron's VC blurs the result when panning so I rarely use it, except for stationary targets, moon shots and the like. 

The bottom line is decent long zooms have been thin on the ground until the last year or so I give a big welcome to all comers that arrive at the party especially when they are around the grand mark, bring them on!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

Quote: 

Jo, have you thought about the 70-300mm CX?

I had a good look at your link and I have to say that the 70-300mm CX on a V1 gives better results. I just got a J5 so I can't quite tell yet how much better it is to the V1.

The 70-300mm CX is a very serious lens. It is good for head and shoulder portraits as well as distance objects like the moon.

One thing that not too many people talk about is how good it is for macros. I put on a 4T attachment and got something like 3:1 magnification. On its own it's about 1:3 at 300mm (810mm field of view).

It's sharp at every focal lenght execept maybe wide-open at 300mm when viewed at 100%.
Hi Andrew,

no, not in that combination. Occasionally I thought about getting a CX to travel light(er), but not in combination with 70-300. I read a lot of good things about from you, tord### (forgot the number) and on other forums, but I lean towards Fuji because those better fit into my hands. I always find the little Sonys, Olympus', Nikon 1s feel like doll cameras in my hands (no offense to the happy owners  ^_^ ). I don't think I'd use it as a portrait lens (70 × 2.6 = 182 mm equiv., usually I prefer 85 or 105 mm).

810 mm fov and 1:3? you meant 81 mm? The bees are great and very sharp, too. As I recall, you're not wearing glasses? I do and I also do have problems changing my eye's focus to very close (age...) and don't want bifocal glasses right now. So, there's a limit how tiny the symbols on the wheel can be and at the same time I need a generous finder which Fuji has to offer. I couldn't adjust to the little CX system although I found it attractive in some aspects.

You're post gives me ideas, anyway. I don't think, using this 2.8 kg sports Sigma will ever happen without preparation and tripod and gimbal (or monopod), so always big load to carry around and of course, not often attracted to load that stuff on my back.

300 x 2.7 = 810mm FF equivalent.  Rolleyes

"I always find the little Sonys, Olympus', Nikon 1s feel like doll cameras in my hands (no offense to the happy owners  ^_^ ). I don't think I'd use it as a portrait lens (70 × 2.6 = 182 mm equiv., usually I prefer 85 or 105 mm)."

Yes, the J5 is tiny. But you know, for me it's all about what it is that I am trying to do. I could be wrong but I am not aware of ANY - system FX, DX, CX, 4/3rd  - that can give an effective 1000mm reach that is portable, affordable and decent quality.

I say 1000mm because I specifically got the J5 so that with a bit of cropping 810mm easily becomes 1000mm with at least 10MP to play with.

Here are a couple more shots with the 70-300mm CX on the V1. The portrait is at 300mm!

As for the 200-500mm lens, I think it will be a big hit but I think that for most people they will end up just leaving it at home because of it's weight and size.

Right now, I'm thinking about getting an FT-1 adapter and try it with a friend's AW1 and my 300/4 PF E, just to get an idea, if that's a possible way for me to save weight and gain at least no worse IQ than I'm able to get with my bit of experience.

If that works, I still can go for another body of the 1 series. Thanks for the impulse, Andy. Btw. I like your portraits,  I'm not too impressed by the sharpness (compared to FF, but maybe it's the smaller size?) but the colours are really great and I also think people are not "offended" as they are with a huge, fat, black FF and one of these contemporary big size lenses.

I think that you will be disappointed with the 300/4 PF on the AW1.

I've tried everything from the 70-200mm to 105mm f2 DC to 4 versions of 50mm.

None are great, so don't conclude that the 1 system is sub-par for image quality. The 1 system needs CX lenses to shine.