Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touch AF video camera ideas?
Quote:I had a quick play using both the 30mm macro and 18-55 OSS kit lens. Performance was a mixed bag. Touching the point I wanted was unreliable, often picking something next to what I wanted or just going straight for the background. Once locked on a subject it didn't react very quickly to movements. I didn't feel there was OSS going on with the latter lens and I just didn't get a very stable video. The 30mm macro was a bit shorter than I like in the end. The 18-55 was better but I had to be careful not to run into MFD.

For a quick comparison, I put the 15-85 IS USM on my 7D2, since that should have the best AF capability of my Canon bodies. The lens was chosen for USM and medium focal length range, since I don't have STM in that area other than the 40mm pancake. This tended to pick the closest item which was the subject. I haven't tested this in case of a foreground obstruction. AF is more confident feeling although it can still lose track in case of faster movements. IS was visibly working here.

So that considered, the NEX-5N isn't on my shopping list. The Canon DP video AF is just a lot better. Now, of course I don't know if more modern Sony models will be much better but as previously said, I don't want to spend a lot on a new body.

Right now I guess I could consider an IS STM lens for Canon... I still don't think I'll get another body though and will make do without touchscreen (didn't help much in the end) or tilt.
The cheapest touch option will be the EOS 100D and M2, I guess. And M, but the M2 probably performs a tad better.

A shame that EOS Remote does not work with video (or actually: that video recording does not work with WiFi enabled). I guess that the same circuit is used for both video handling things, so it can't do both at the same time.