Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for catchlight in portraits
I am shooting a lot of portraits lately I am satisfied with everything except one small detail: The catchlight. That sparkle, the shine in the eyes or flash reflexion.

I don't need a flash for lighting however I need a light source to help with this.

There are ring flashes I would like especially the reflection in the eye gives a great circular form, however I am seeing more and more LED light sources made for video that might be extremely helpful none is circular however.

Do you have any suggestions that could help ?
My own attempts with ring-LED let me stay away from them. I'm sure there are good ones but I had an Aputure and was not able to bring all LEDs together to an even light surface. I could identify the single LEDs and found that distracting.

In portraits, I'm also no big fand of "another ring in the eye"-  personal taste, I guess, but also a big obstacle in communciation between me and the model. There's one nice addition from Orbis to a common flash: 

[Image: rf_roundflash_1.jpg]

But that's a circle of 44 cm behind I'd be hiding. Never tried it, though, maybe it's better than I expect. It's just not the way I prefer to stay in contact with the person in front of my camera.

Deleted.