Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pana 42.5/1.7
Just wonder if this lens is on the list for testing?

According to slrgear.com a crazy sharp lens. Sharper than the M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and better minimum focusing distance too.

Basically as good as the famous M.Zuiko 75mm, f/1.8.

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1776
Cameralabs.com have a comparison between the Oly 45f/1.8 and Pana 42.5f/1.7. The Pana is sharper and more contrasty, but bokeh seems  a bit worse for the Pana.

If bokeh is not too bad, the Pana seems to be a perfect all rounder for a light package (portrait, close up, landscape, low light).

There were many positive reports for this lens, so I ordered it a couple of days ago. It really performs very well. I compared it to the Oly 45/1.8 and was surprised how much better the Pana was at the widest apertures.

What I think about it:

+ Compact and very good BQ

+ Very good IQ (but not another 75/1,8)

+ Nice bokeh

+ Good for close ups - short minimum focusing distance

+ Good all rounder with high fun factor

+ Seems to be a good sample - well centered

+ OIS gives about 2.5 extra stops

- OIS makes it less durable?

Hope for a test here at PZ in the near future.

Lenstip.com just reviewed the Pana 42.5 f1.7 and they like it very much. According to their results, it beats the Olympus in all areas, especially when it comes to sharpness wide open.

I'm very impressed given the Oly is already a great lens.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Is lens tip still using an old body or have they updated there tests to 16mp camera ?

I believe they are still using an old 12MP camera. That's really a shame and I don't understand why they don't switch to a 16MP body. It's not 2009 anymore.

--Florent

Flickr gallery
Probably to keep the results consistent across all lenses.

Quote:I believe they are still using an old 12MP camera. That's really a shame and I don't understand why they don't switch to a 16MP body. It's not 2009 anymore.

16M from 12M is a pretty big jump (%) so it would not be unreasonable to expect them to have made the switch.

This interesting tidbit about resolution demands on μ4/3 lenses and specifically the Olympus 45mm vs the Panasonic 43mm was hidden in this DP article about the Zeiss Otus:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9669965...comparison

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"Resolutions are going up, and some of our tried and true glass is having trouble meeting the demands. The first to fall behind was the (otherwise excellent) Olympus 45mm F1.8. It never had a problem with the "sweet sixteen" Micro Four Thirds resolution standard, but shots on the pixel-shift high resolution mode of the E-M5 II left much sharpness to be desired. That was remedied with the borderline ridiculous $1,600 lens made from what has to be glass from the fires of Mordor; the Panasonic 42.5mm F1.2 Nocticron. That much bread for a Micro Four Thirds lens goes against everything (we think) the system stands for, which is why the Olympus 45mm F1.8 still serves as our studio lens."
Quote:16M from 12M is a pretty big jump (%) so it would not be unreasonable to expect them to have made the switch.
16mp MFT hor. res.: 4608 pixels.

12mp MFT hor. res.: 4032 pixels.

100 / 4032 * 4608 = 114% 

I would not call 14% increase in resolution "a pretty big jump"  :ph34r: ....