•  Previous
  • 8(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your favourite feature of the D850?
Hello,

you can take also an MH-26 Charger (that was sold with the D4) and the old EN-EL18 for the D850 to get 2FPS more.

Yes the original grip costs much money, but thinking back to the times of the D300/700, it was almost same price to get 2FPS more :-)
It was sold as PDK-1 Speedkit containing all (MB-D10 grip, EN-EL4 battery of the D3, MH-21 Charger of the D2x, BL-3 Cap).
Some things I would not hesitate to buy second hand, but batteries, especially expensive batteries are an exception. Today the extra 2fps cost not much less than 900$ (Grip, charger, extra battery, battery door). I don't know if that's a good investment. For the same money I try to sell an x-T2 with 11 fps, up to 14 fps. Nikon accessories is for them what ink cartridges for printer manufacturers.
hello,
maybe nikon be a little bit pricier than fuji, but this is simple econimics: Fuji has to struggle against many big companies to gain success. This success is often not within making margin, but only to get some people to their product line. Then the milking starts.
Everyone is free to buy whatever he/she/it wants. So when you really need 9FPS with 45,7MP, that is true for some pros shooting sports, wildlife, etc... the costs are secondary. Also you have to mention that there are so many options to get a fine Nikon lens for any reason almost everywhere in the world, whereas this is not given for Fuji.
I don't think you ever tried to shoot 9 or only 6 fps with a D850, Kaoos. AF reliability at this fps is simply not perfect, at least handheld it's very easy to accidentally aim at some wrong target.

The battery grip for the D850: 486.- francs. For the Fuji X-T2: 229.- francs. What was it you said about margins?

These two battery grips are so diifferent not only in price but also in value you get with it that your reasoning just doesn't hold. It's less so with the new grip for X-T3 - that one will not unlock many features the X-T2 only has with the grip (btw. the same with D850, the higher frame rate needs a big battery with higher voltage and higher Ah-number).

So, 112% more cost at less functionality is not "a little pricier", it's at the edge of blunt nerviness. There's no charger included, no AC power supply, no battery holder for two batteries (but two holders, one for 6×1.5 V AA types and one for EN-EL15A, none of them gives higher fps) and I would have to charge the batteries externally. And all Nikon grips feel rather cheap (to me) when it comes to dials, joystick and switches. On the contrary Fuji uses the same buttons and dials on their grip and thicker walls. Meaning, less wobble on a tripod. Which even would be less critical to Fuji, as there's no big mass of mirror slapping up and down.

I really like the D850, but when it comes to accessories, I had to learn to stay away from overpriced Nikon stuff, if possible. The grip for the D7100 I had to tape so it would fit closely to the bottom plate of the body. Things like that make me unfriendly to this kind of offers...
I understand not wanting to cough up for a Nikon grip..........but why not a Meike grip? ......

................Around 100 euros or less, complete with a radio remote control (which does a whole bunch of stuff)....... I have one for the D500 and it's fine.......ah...all but the position of the joystick...a little lower than on the body......OK nonetheless!

......or check out the other manufacturers..........those grips are a bargain!

I'd then run for a 8 euro battery cover......and a new Nikon ENL 18 !

I just couldn't let those extra two frames per second slip through "my" fingers..........it's a bit like the leading horse falling at the last fence!
Here I am a bit unwilling to test, if a EN-EL18a or ...b works with cheap grips. I also don't need 2 extra frames at this kind of costs - when you sell a camera the grip is a welcome present for the buyer but worth close to nothing.

Second, the grip doesn't add real function value to the body. No extra batterylife (except with EN-EL 18), no extra plug, not even the possibility tp charge the batteries in the brip and in the body. As I already said a couple of times before, FujiFilm sets a steep standard with grips: more functions, AC adapter included and also working as charger, more capacity and better design (in terms of stability on a tripod). While the price relation of body / grip is like 7:1 (Fujifilm) or 23:1 (if you buy grip and body together), Nikon demands at first the same (roughly 7:1) but has no package to offer. AC-adapter goes separate. And the bigger more professional battery at least needs a charger, too and a spare battery. The whole experience of +2 fps will cost 1/3 of the body when using genuine accessories. I made bad experiences with Chinese copies years ago and have no wish to repeat them. That's my answer to "why not a Meike grip?"

Also I like to use a tripod much oftener than I need higher fps. And if laready the Nikon grip (at this costs) makes the whole setting less stable, a Chinese cheapo will not be more stable.
Meike utube battery grip video review!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43PnDOD_2jI
Went on YT, watched the clip. A radio remote control, so no fiddling with the stupid 10 pin screw socket (but who needs interval timer when one can use the camera's?)

Went on Amazon, 7 reviews. 3 gave 5★, 1×4★, 1×2★, 2×1★. Comments on a bad smell, on "stiffer plastic than Nikon" (but Nikon's is made of magnesium alloy...), bad quality of battery cases, buttons and dials. Feel cheap, make the camera sound rather loud. One mentioned a discharging to death of an expensive battery (EN-EL18? he said something of 200€) within 4 weeks which made the whole grip a rather expensive one. You know, you cannot switch off the grip separately, usually the camera does that.

Customer question "how can the grip be set up to 9fps?", reply "with the remote control". Maybe true, but I'm afraid, one needs the bigger En-EL18. Amazon doesn't send the grip to Switzerland, so bigger circumstances to get it and therefore no deal. Yes, there are EN-EL18 copies as well, I just don't want to walk in the woods with a burning bag... I have not much sympathies for genuine parts cloners, they usually only rely on price. For a better one I'd pay a fair price - better than Nikon's, that is. Thicker walls and charging of batteries while in the grip / body would already make a big improvement. Inbuilt Arca dove tail would sell it to me.
(10-12-2018, 05:57 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Went on YT, watched the clip. A radio remote control, so no fiddling with the stupid 10 pin screw socket (but who needs interval timer when one can use the camera's?)

Went on Amazon, 7 reviews. 3 gave 5★, 1×4★, 1×2★, 2×1★. Comments on a bad smell, on "stiffer plastic than Nikon" (but Nikon's is made of magnesium alloy...), bad quality of battery cases, buttons and dials. Feel cheap, make the camera sound rather loud. One mentioned a discharging to death of an expensive battery (EN-EL18? he said something of 200€) within 4 weeks which made the whole grip a rather expensive one. You know, you cannot switch off the grip separately, usually the camera does that.

Customer question "how can the grip be set up to 9fps?", reply "with the remote control". Maybe true, but I'm afraid, one needs the bigger En-EL18. Amazon doesn't send the grip to Switzerland, so bigger circumstances to get it and therefore no deal. Yes, there are EN-EL18 copies as well, I just don't want to walk in the woods with a burning bag... I have not much sympathies for genuine parts cloners, they usually only rely on price. For a better one I'd pay a fair price - better than Nikon's, that is. Thicker walls and charging of batteries while in the grip / body would already make a big improvement. Inbuilt Arca dove tail would sell it to me.

Nikon couldn't have done a better job at condemning the Meike grip than you JoJu! Lol.

Actually both of my grips (D750/D500) are perfectly good enough for the little that I use them.......and the buttons are fine.

Quote:........"only rely on price"

D500..........  Nikon 350 euros vs 50 euros with remote

D750............Nikon 280 euros vs  35 euros (basic model)

.......good enough reason for me I afraid Joju!

Genuine batteries only...... bien entendu!
...............................................................................................................................
    Here's a good one for you...........

Has the D850 got eye-detect in the viewfinder? (PDAF)

Answer....in 3D mode ....Yes! .......

.. in the custom setting menu.......select autofocus....a4....  3D tracking face detect......the RGB exposure sensor has programmed into it "faces and eyes" 

Now look through the VF and you will see that the face detect feature in 3D mode will select the nearest eye............it works!!

This goes for the D5/D850/D500.......

Why didn't Nikon mention this feature?
Nikon mentions the feature of face detection. I use AF-C quite often, but 3D sometimes sticks to the wrong target and is hard to another one. But which part of the nearest eye... just kidding.

•  Previous
  • 8(current)