Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A "WTF" kind of news from Zeiss: the new Batis!
At first I thought it was a kind of belated Apr. 1st joke. But they would have to have a really bad withdrawal to try it 3 weeks on.

In a nutshell: the Touit and the Loxia have crossbreeded to produce a bunch of (all right, only two so far) AF mirrorless lenses (called the Batis)... for FE mount. 25mm f/2 and 85mm f/1.8

http://photorumors.com/2015/04/22/zeiss-...ss-lenses/

Guess that answers the prayers of those who were asking for a 85/1.8 FE lens... it's here - just from a slightly different well. Oh, and it's stabilized: how much more badass that can get? Oh, and I haven't even told about the OLED display on each lens. Yes, really.

The result of sony-to-zeiss collaboration on electronics, as compared to zeiss-to-sony collaboration on optics =)  These have been in the works for quite a while if I'm correct - I first heard of this project over a year ago.

Yes, I had a "WTF" moment too. In particular for what concerns the OLED display. It's supposed to show the DoF. Now, two things. First, I suppose it will be very accurate, otherwise the thing is just some coloured lamps to attract gadget maniacs. Second: why don't they just asked Sony for a firmware update and show the thing in the EVF? 

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:Yes, I had a "WTF" moment too. In particular for what concerns the OLED display. It's supposed to show the DoF. Now, two things. First, I suppose it will be very accurate, otherwise the thing is just some coloured lamps to attract gadget maniacs. Second: why don't they just asked Sony for a firmware update and show the thing in the EVF? 
Because they needed something to placate those who would bemoan the lack of a distance scale on a lens?
http://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en_de/med...zeiss_2015

what's so bad about these lenses ? Basically full format Touits.

Of course, the focal length choice is odd as usual but then you are getting used to this.  Rolleyes
25mm has 4 double-sided aspheres, I'm actually rather amazed they are selling it for such a "low" price.

A good indication that Cosina has moved to OptiPro and/or QED polishers to bring costs down.

What's odd with 25 and 85 mm, Klaus? 25 was always in Zeiss' portfolio and both would be a nice addition if one already uses a 50 mm.

AiryDisucs, are you sure, they polish the aspheres? What if they manned to press the glass and gain a sufficient surface by mould design?

Quote:25mm has 4 double-sided aspheres, I'm actually rather amazed they are selling it for such a "low" price.

A good indication that Cosina has moved to OptiPro and/or QED polishers to bring costs down.
You mean you are amazed that Zeiss does not inflate the price as they usually do? In another discussion you claimed that all the elements in the Canon 11-14mm f4 L only would cost $200 to make...
Quote:what's so bad about these lenses ? Basically full format Touits.

Of course, the focal length choice is odd as usual but then you are getting used to this.  Rolleyes
Bad? I can imagine the Sony A7* users will be all over them.

The focal length choice is pretty smart to me. They chose two of the popular focal lengths (25 - similar to 24 - and 85mm) that do not overlap with the two already covered by the FE and the Loxias (else the Loxias would be an instant D.O.A.)