Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Fuji flagship camera coming ...
Not on my lens, obican. I tried.

If you know better, I'd be happy to know which menu setting needs to be changed.

edit: just checked a third time, with the 18-55/2.8-4 (which has the same concept as the 100-400 in terms of aperture ring). If I set 
  • Aperture to A
  • Shutter dial on top to A
  • use a low ISO number
  • and change in the menu the rear dial with the front dial function
Then - and only then - the aperture changes because the camera is now in program automatic and the aperture is depending on shutter speed - which I can select by the front dial. So the aperture only follows the shutter speed - I could not change the aperture independently! But program automatic and value shift is not what I'm looking for.

As I said, if you know a secret way, please feel free to share.

So basically an x-t2 with ibis and a ton of extra weight.

Quote:Not on my lens, obican. I tried.

If you know better, I'd be happy to know which menu setting needs to be changed.

edit: just checked a third time, with the 18-55/2.8-4 (which has the same concept as the 100-400 in terms of aperture ring). If I set 
  • Aperture to A
  • Shutter dial on top to A
  • use a low ISO number
  • and change in the menu the rear dial with the front dial function
Then - and only then - the aperture changes because the camera is now in program automatic and the aperture is depending on shutter speed - which I can select by the front dial. So the aperture only follows the shutter speed - I could not change the aperture independently! But program automatic and value shift is not what I'm looking for.

As I said, if you know a secret way, please feel free to share.

You have an X-T2 right? I'll drop by to the Fuji store tomorrow and try to remember how to do that. Pretty sure that was possible with X-T1.

Edit: I think I was thinking of changing the shutter speed via dials and not the aperture. Might be my bad.

Edit 2: Nope the manual says you should be able to use front dial to adjust the aperture. Page 274 (294 on the pdf). Might be something to do with another setting. Check if the menu item APERTURE SETTING is set to AUTO+MANUAL.

Yes. This dial comes into play with the cheap XC lenses which have no aperture ring at all.

It remains useless for lenses with aperture ring. The manual does say in it's chapter heading " Lenses with No Aperture Rings"  Wink But thank you for referring tot he German manual. In the English version it's on page 286 (PDF and print) The illustration is misleading. Heading says "without aperture rings" illustration shows a lens with aperture ring. 

And the chapter before is "Lenses with Aperture Rings". Here the same sentence claims it is possible to set the lens' aperture with front dial - but in the menu of my X-T2 that setting is grey. I tried 3 lenses...

Oh, and You2: The X-H1 is basically a shrunk GFX50, just without the movable EVF, but added IBIS.

Have you checked the other one is set to AUTO+MANUAL? I remember something something overrides something something somewhere somehow.

And people say Sony have bad menus btw Wink

Which "other one"? I cannot set a menu topic which is greyed out.

I think the menu topic will become accessible when a lens without aperture ring is mounted. But forgive me, I will not bring more money into Fujis' pockets as long as they fill in tons of menus into the main topic with the wrench.. Other menus are short, translated badly, but the wrench contains everything the just could not make ups their mind for what it might be good for.

I don't want to imagine how they would realize banks or user settings, brrr.

That 8-16 is going to be an epic lens for sure. Looks like a reason in itself to get on the Fuji bandwagon.

Quote:That 8-16 is going to be an epic lens for sure. Looks like a reason in itself to get on the Fuji bandwagon.

Haven't seen the Fuji lens yet but I'm guessing Sony 12-24/4 is going to disagree with what you've just said Big Grin
I see your point but I can just as well see that some people may not be willing to get on the FF mirrorless (= Sony) bandwagon, because of the quirks this system has, and the overall commitment to mostly big, heavy and expensive - for the general mirrorless market, anyway - lenses. Smile

I am a fairweather Sony user, as there's a beater NEX in my household, but I'm not sure whether the mirrorless expansion - if I attempt one - would be going in the Sony direction. Smile

I was looking a bit more closely to the pictures (in 3 days the official announcement should happen, so there's a lot of dancing round the future tellers campfires at Fujirumours...  Rolleyes ).

What I do like are the concentric rings which select drive and exposure mode. Contrary to the flimsy plastic rings of the X-T2, these ones benefitted of the bigger size. The X-H1 definitely tries to make a bit more of a professional impression. They also say the magnesium body is thicker, yet the vertical grip not more expensive (another "well done, Fuji").

The X-Pro2 is also bigger than the X-T2, so the size of an "only APS-C" camera to me is very acceptable. Fuji made some more steps towards a professional system, but as long as there are no banks or user settings, I stay watching and waiting for the real thing. Also, as long as there are no serious tele primes.  ^_^