Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Olympus F/1.2 primes officially announced
I can only "produce that with pretty much only my FL 55mm f1.2".

[Image: 2B3E722C20814B358F070F19FD27C1F6.jpg]

I don't think MFT users are agonising and splitting hairs over comparisons to FF, else they would not have gone MFT in the first place. I know a few pros who are using Olympus cameras/lenses full time, and since they're still doing that after a few years, they must be happy. For them, these are perfectly valid lenses.

Quote:I can only "produce that with pretty much only my FL 55mm f1.2".

Yeah, but contrary to the dog picture your flower picture looks beautiful, not as if one wanted to take a dog portrait and instead the lens went the impressionistic path.  Big Grin
This MFT system is just amazing.

I just bought the 40-150 PRO from Olympus : what a lens !

Quote:Nice stuff but it's overpriced for what you get from this. 

I'm wondering how many they are selling of these f/1.2 lenses.

I suppose they are probably meant as halo products.

If a pro requires large aperture lenses, he will not go MFT.

That being said they are a little cheaper than a (orig) FF 85mm f/1.4.

I'm kind of confused. It seems many of the MFT lens reviews mention either the lens being overpriced or less expensive alternatives. Yet the street prices are generally 1/3 of what you list. At least where I'm at.

We'll have to see what the real price ends up being. Particularly 6mo to a year after it's release. Plus by this time the new hype is gone, and more importantly to me, most quality control issues should be resolved.
MFT gear in Lebanon isn't sold new, you can't go to a dealer and get MFT, however on the used market some MFT camers pop up every once and a while, since nobody is interested prices tend to be extremely low like olympus pen plus two lenses for 150$

Quote:MFT gear in Lebanon isn't sold new, you can't go to a dealer and get MFT, however on the used market some MFT camers pop up every once and a while, since nobody is interested prices tend to be extremely low like olympus pen plus two lenses for 150$

If you're talking about the Olympus Pen-F then send me a PM  B)

--Florent

Flickr gallery
that's the actual listing

https://olxliban.com/en/ad/olympus-epl1-ID6ZOlo.html

when they say 140 negotiable this means max 125 $ or even less

I must say I had a good laugh Smile. The usual comments, nay-saying and "equivalencing" comments cropped up, as expected. Smile

Let me point you to a few reviews and pictures, for the 45 F/1.2 for now:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2017/10/26/re...-f1-2-pro/

and

http://pen3.de/blog/zuiko-ed-45mm-f12-pro/#

Cheerio!

Wim

Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
Quote:Why on earth would a full frame user especially one using a camera like 1Ds or 1Dx get a pancake lens ?? but they are getting it.

Check the sales of Canon 40mm pancake it does not make sense IMHO yet it's selling 

Canon 40mm is awesome. It is tiny, it is brutally sharp from wide open and it's cheap. It even focuses fast. Focal length is useful for pretty much everything and if you put all these together, you'll see it's something that will never let you down.

You point, it shoots. Simple as that. You will not be able to get away with using such a large aperture that everything apart from the subject blurs into nonexistence, no. You'll have to compose properly. It is absolutely awful to use a first because you can't be lazy and get away with it. You have to become a good photographer to use it to its near full. You have to move around. You have to see. You have to think and come up with ways to get rid of unwanted elements. And when you do it all, the results pay off for all the hard work. It rewards you generously. 

Or you can bring your favorite zoom lens and zoom in and out until you are pleased.

Being a full frame user does not mean you only like hilarously large lenses with light gathering capabilities that would give Stephen Hawking a boner. 40/2.8 is one of the best walkaround lenses made by anyone, ever.

A very close contender is the Fuji 27/2.8. Sigma 30/2.8 would be up there too but it inspires no confidence at all, being something made of such cheap plastics.