Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera sales continue to tank ...
Quote:Well, not sure whether this is really any "worse" than 2 years ago.

Of course, some aspects are home brewed like the demise of the Nikon sections - Markus has been hit hard in the real life.

And this has heavily delayed the new "responsive" portal - thus also optimized for the mobile devices out there.

Doesn't read nice. I miss Markus' input, also here in the forum. I want to wish him well.
enjoy

Just for starters ... https://www.apple.com/iphone/world-gallery/

Wow, when Apple put a publicity page together it's really something else, Superb!
Quote:Sorry Felix, a 4×5" sensor would deliver at 5 µm pixelpitch: 20320 × 25400 = 516.128 MP, so something between 1.5 and 2 GB data - per picture. Looks like eceryday purpose, doesn't it?

I was not talking about everyday purpose and large format cameras are not for everyday purposes anyway. 1.5-2GB of data could be handled easily in a few years and large format film (at least the color stuff) is disappearing slowly. It's a small market, but it's there to be taken.

Quote:Innovation is not "more", "higher", "bigger" - that's evolution. Innovation is doing things totally different.

Hm that's actually not true. Innovation doesn't have to be radical and it's definitely not the opposite of evolution. Relatively small improvements like "more", "higher", "bigger" or "more efficient" can also be innovative, they are just not of the radical "creative destruction" type. 

Maybe that is also part of the "Apple problem". They are constantly improving their MacBooks & iDevices and some of these improvements, e.g. in mainboard and battery layout, have been quite innovative. They just seem unable to create products that are radically new and make a big splash like the iPod or the original iPhone. And that might actually be something that positively correlates with their growth. Bigger firms are often less successful at such things.. 
"The term innovation can be defined as something original and more effective and, as a consequence, new, that "breaks into" the market or society" Source: wkipedia

I once learnt "<i>innovare</i>" is renew and an invention doens't have to be a innovation. German wikipedia does define it success-dependant. But I think, there is quite a variation of definitions. I wa sreacting on it because "innovation" became a standard expression of marketing people but often the term doesn't hold it's promise.

Now it's as well a definition if the new batteries with layers are already an innovation or just a different way to store energy. An innovation would be, if the MacBook could be charged by simple typing. To me, bigger sensors and higher MP counts are no innovation - the sensor shifiting of Hasselblad and Olympus are innovation. Using Gyroscopes to predict focus difference when turning the camera was never possible before Hassleblad invented it and I think, it is innovation.