Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35mm 1.4 ZA
I'm with you stoppingdoen. I don't really understand this 'balance' business. If you have a large lens, then the point of balance will be somewhere on the lens, and that's where you hold it in your left hand, leaving your right had free to operate the controls without hanging on the body for dear life. I'd rather a big lens and light  body than a big lens and a heavy body.

Quote:Not sure, but let's wait and see. I don't see Canikon going the mirrorless route soon...

I know most people think like that, and perhaps I'm just the only one who doesn't... When I got the SEL70200G I supposed I was going to see the problem with the A6000. But I don't see problems.
There's a Sony comment about the size of their lenses:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says...n-sensors/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Can't reduce the size, sure sony B)   A biotar can perform better than a distagon (and vice versa) - it just depends on the skill of the designer.

Quote:Can't reduce the size, sure sony B)   A biotar can perform better than a distagon (and vice versa) - it just depends on the skill of the designer.
Small M lenses don't work so well with mirrorless digital cameras because of the glass in front of the sensor. Leica's workaround is to use very thin glass (<1mm), Canon/Nikon/Sony are around 2mm. The solution seems to have a larger exit pupil.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/...-it-matter

On the other side, the new Zeiss Loxia aren't that much bigger than ZM lenses but don't have that issue.
Beg your pardon, but leave the "small lenses" to Leica owners who make it their holy grail to manual focus. I don't know of any "small" decent, fast AF lens, do you? For at least APS-C size?

A very lazy but very effective solution to fixing issues based on the coverglass is to complete the design then vary every radius of curvature with the new coverglass thickness.  The optical path is very similar but the balance of astigmatism and spherical must be adjusted - often the optical design software will "smash" the new aberration and recover 90%+ of the old performance.

Quote:Beg your pardon, but leave the "small lenses" to Leica owners who make it their holy grail to manual focus. I don't know of any "small" decent, fast AF lens, do you? For at least APS-C size?
I have no problems with manual focus for static subjects on the A7 because of the focus peek.

Here are examples of my photos with Contax G lenses in Havana

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ephankim/s...216825095/

Back in the days when I had a Nex-6, I had good results with Sony 24/1.8 ZA, Sony 50/1.8 OSS & Sigma 19/2.8. 

Reviews of the Sony 35/1.8 OSS, Sigma 30/2.8 & 60/2.8, Zeiss 12/2.8 & 32/1.8 are quite good too.
Quote:A very lazy but very effective solution to fixing issues based on the coverglass is to complete the design then vary every radius of curvature with the new coverglass thickness.  The optical path is very similar but the balance of astigmatism and spherical must be adjusted - often the optical design software will "smash" the new aberration and recover 90%+ of the old performance.
Who cares if it's lazy as long as it works Smile
Well in lens design the biggest questions are always:

* can it be done better

* can it be done simpler

and one related to the last one:

* can it be done cheaper

Designing e.g a 50mm f/1 autofocus-ready lens is reasonably doable, designing one with higher performance and that is economical for all parties involved is hard.  Typically when someone says they want a design for _____________ complex/special lens (e.g 50/1) the answer is not "can't do" it's "you can't afford it."

Meanwhile in the big elsewhere...

http://slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=1787

The first (known to me, anyways) full evaluation of the 35/1.4 by a major review site.