Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pentax K-S2 body and DA 18-50mm collapsible lens
K-S2 body pricing and availablity:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pen...unced.html

[Image: K-S2_top.jpg]

"The camera body will be available at a competitive sticker price of $699/£599 while the 18-50mm lens kit will retail for $799/£699.  It is expected to start shipping in April."

"The K-S2 is being marketed as the "world's smallest dust-proof, weather-resistant DSLR camera"."

For the colour haters/loves (scroll to bottom of link):
"The Pentax K-S2 will be available in a total of 10 different colors: 3 standard variants, 3 as part of a special "nature collection", and 4 as part of a special "sport collection"."

- - - 

Two versions of the 18-50mm collapsible lens, one for aftermarket, one for kit only.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pen...unced.html

HD Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE
SMC Pentax-DA L 18-50mm F4-5.6 DC WR RE

[Image: HD_DA18-50_hood.jpg]     [Image: HD_DA18-50_zoomed_hood_pentax.jpg]

The HD version includes better coatings, quick-shift focusing, (minimalist) hood vs the SMC version.   Unfortunately both have plastic mounts.  On the other hand both are WR (weather resistant).

158g, quite light....

MTF's in the link.

Hi Dave,

Yeah it has got to be one of the quickest responses to a previous camera model in history, the ink is barely dry on the K-S1 reviews and the K-S2  model is announced.  Makes Nikons update from the D600-D610 look pedestrian!

The good news is it has answered nearly all the criticisms of the last model and indeed it needed to, a proper grip, an articulating screen (a first for a Pentax DSLR APSc) WiFi , ( again a first)  weather sealed, twin control wheels, improved Safox X  AF system, decent sized buttons etc.

All this and it's only £50 more.  

P.S. A new flashgun is also announced.   Those Pentax technicians have barely had time to draw breath recently! 

I had the idea that these cameras will live next to eachother, and that this S2 is not a replacement for the S1?

Quote:I had the idea that these cameras will live next to eachother, and that this S2 is not a replacement for the S1?

Yes, I think this is correct BC.  The K-S1 is the entry level model below the K-S2, not replaced by it.
Quote:Hi Dave,

Yeah it has got to be one of the quickest responses to a previous camera model in history, the ink is barely dry on the K-S1 reviews and the K-S2  model is announced.  Makes Nikons update from the D600-D610 look pedestrian!

The good news is it has answered nearly all the criticisms of the last model and indeed it needed to, a proper grip, an articulating screen (a first for a Pentax DSLR APSc) WiFi , ( again a first)  weather sealed, twin control wheels, improved Safox X  AF system, decent sized buttons etc.

All this and it's only £50 more.  

P.S. A new flashgun is also announced.   Those Pentax technicians have barely had time to draw breath recently! 
I didn't see the new flashgun..?
there it is:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4611059...rnal-flash

Quote:I had the idea that these cameras will live next to eachother, and that this S2 is not a replacement for the S1?
It's true that both models are current and it's the K50 that is being superseded, but my guess is the K-S1's production has finished and will be sold at knock down prices to clear the line  (they have got to do something with them), it just plain isn't selling and now there's no reason for anyone to buy it next to it's excellently featured brother!

The collapsing 18-50mm f4-5.6 is kinda nice for this camera, to keep it compact in a bag. Lets hope de optics are more than decent too. I have just ordered a EF-M 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS STM for my little EOS M, new for just $60 (excluding shipping costs) to make more use of the little camera.

Quote:there it is:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4611059...rnal-flash
Noted, thanks!
Quote:The collapsing 18-50mm f4-5.6 is kinda nice for this camera, to keep it compact in a bag. Lets hope de optics are more than decent too. I have just ordered a EF-M 18-55mm f4-5.6 IS STM for my little EOS M, new for just $60 (excluding shipping costs) to make more use of the little camera.

Collapsed, it's the same size as the DA 15mm which is pretty good size for slipping into a small bag.