Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flarytales ...
Prime lens ...

Looks as if you used a ("protective?") filter on the lens. My guess is that one of the elements of the lens itself is flat enough to have the same effect, as I trust you did not use a filter on that 24mm.

Can't find if the following image also has been taken with the IS USM version, and of course can't see if it was taken with a filter, but if it was without filter and the same lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/franzli/27...6/sizes/l/

We see green ghost lights above the real lights. What makes me think it might not be the same is the different residual colour (here green, in your image blue).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/al_st/1595...mmf28isusm

Shows a blue ghost light on the street.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/serumeiro/...mf28isusm/

I suspect that is a ghost light too.

The tiny ufo visitors recognised the smiley face so they decided to have a night out at Luna park....after drinks at the Rocks.

Quote:Looks as if you used a ("protective?") filter on the lens. My guess is that one of the elements of the lens itself is flat enough to have the same effect, as I trust you did not use a filter on that 24mm.

I used a filter since it was a rental lens. Still this is the first time that I have seen such an emphasized effect.

Interestingly these ghostings aren't present in all images (of the bridge).

Then it probably was the filter anyway... The light has to be bright enough and the exposure long enough for the ghost lights to become clear (and of course the ghost light spots need to fall on a dark part). What I find most interesting is that the point-mirror-ing seems to not have happened through the optical axis in this particular image. Maybe that has to do with the IS unit.

With the vertical orientated bridge image the mirroring did go more or less through the middle of the image, as one would expect. The other bridge image in the gallery has the line of lights go through the diagonal of the frame, this probably explains why the ghost lights are not visible to us.

Quote:Then it probably was the filter anyway... The light has to be bright enough and the exposure long enough for the ghost lights to become clear (and of course the ghost light spots need to fall on a dark part). What I find most interesting is that the point-mirror-ing seems to not have happened through the optical axis in this particular image. Maybe that has to do with the IS unit.

With the vertical orientated bridge image the mirroring did go more or less through the middle of the image, as one would expect. The other bridge image in the gallery has the line of lights go through the diagonal of the frame, this probably explains why the ghost lights are not visible to us.

This is not the whole image but just a crop :-)
Quote:This is not the whole image but just a crop :-)
Ahhh thanks! that explains "everything" Smile

And thanks for the test, looks like a pretty nice lens still. If I at some point feel the need for 24mm, it is worth considering.