Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sony/Zeiss FE 16-35mm f4 OSS
Quote:I think we can expect softer edges on this than on the Canon; with a complex wide zoom I doubt there's any real advantage to the shorter registration distance. And the Canon has a larger diameter, and is a little bigger. Allowing for equal optical expertise, and equal quality contraction and design, that ought to make the Canon a little better in the corners.

The interesting question is the extent to which Zony ought to try to make their lenses small. It's nice to have a small body, and of course there can be a few small prime lenses. But when you are going to have something as necessarily large as a full frame constant aperture zoom, maybe you would be better off having it a little bigger and better. 

But I can see how opinions may vary..

In terms of FF mirrorless, what I would like to see is a system offering the following:
  • Fast lenses with uncompromising IQ. Think f/1.4 for primes and f/2.8 for zooms. These would be large, heavy and expensive.
  • Slowish lenses with great IQ, but as compact as possible. Typically f/2 to f/2.4 for primes and f/4 to f/5 for zooms. There would be pancake primes.
To me, this would be the best of both worlds: pros and very demanding users would go for the first group of lenses while people looking for the smallest possible kit (or travelers), while still getting great IQ, would go for the 2nd group.

I really believe there would be a market for such offerings, but for some reasons no manufacturers seems to be wanting to release 2 ranges of lenses fulfilling 2 very different needs. Why is that?

--Florent

Flickr gallery
TECHNICALLY, Sony could design lenses that simply keep a distance that doesn't compromise quality.

Olympus always suggested to use a telecentric design to overcome the sensor issues but honestly I am not a lens designer thus I am clueless about the problems of such an approach in full format lenses.

The other aspect is, of course, about expectations. Is it viable for a lens to have soft edges at that price point ? We are not talking about pocket money here.

However, let's see some hard data first anyway.

Where have you seen image samples showing soft edges, Klaus? Do you have a copy yet?

Samples I have seen so far look very promising and, considering the lacklustre FE 24-70, that is a relief.

I'm not sure why you are so positive about the Canon equivalent, as I have seen samples of that lens showing less than stellar edges. However, I don't think we can expect prime level performance from either the Canon or Sony versions - that is simply the reality in the field of UWA zooms.
Quote:Where have you seen image samples showing soft edges, Klaus? Do you have a copy yet?
I have only seen heavily corrected samples, and some heavily stopped down unprocessed ones, which have not too impressive borders/corners.
Quote:Samples I have seen so far look very promising and, considering the lacklustre FE 24-70, that is a relief.
Which uncorrected/un-heavily post processed samples have you seen?
Quote:I'm not sure why you are so positive about the Canon equivalent, as I have seen samples of that lens showing less than stellar edges. However, I don't think we can expect prime level performance from either the Canon or Sony versions - that is simply the reality in the field of UWA zooms.
Which samples have you seen which show less than stellar edges? Maybe you confused OOF edges with not sharp edges?

Anyway:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-...view-26033

http://www.lenstip.com/411.11-Lens_revie...mmary.html

** edit: I also saw some wide open uncorrected samples, and they were pretty good.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3750587?page=2

Sharp at f4
Anybody wanna buy my 16-35/2.8 II? Big Grin