•  Previous
  • 9(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we got there (no more Lightroom standalone)
Quote:stoppingdown, you had a look into LCC profiles? I have no idea what "dual illuminant" profiles are and please let's keep it that way  Smile as it is something only relevant for a ColorChecker - LR combination I will never use.

For the record, a "dual illuminant" profile is made out of two test shots of the ColorChecker target, at two different temperatures (e.g. daylight and tungsten). The software then creates a profile which is supposed to be optimised for the whole range of temperatures.

In any cases, I'll look at LCC profiles. Chances are that I could no more need it - for what I'm seeing, the Capture One profiles for my three cameras are much more consistent than those in Lightroom... The remaining need, that is my desire to start from a neutral rendition, can be probably achieved by means of a custom style.

In any case, I've been able to redo my latest session in Capture One (with some trickery for the export procedure). I knew that, but the quality of the resulted image is remarkably better in some areas, e.g. more details are extracted from demosaicing, and sharpening works really good, without halos.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
There's a slider for Halos, too Smile

And I think the color picker and the color editor (normal, enhanced and skin-tone) are usually sufficient for any crazy light situations.

In the color tab you also have the ICC profiles to play with. Because I would not know what I'm doing, I keep my hands off them. So far it works. Pity, there's no German manual, but then... even after reading the manual of version 8 (the last one they made an effort to translate their documents) there was so much to learn in a C1 workshop, that I don't know if I really should miss badly written documentations  :mellow: I think you will not miss LR in a short period of time.

However, they really should work on their library part.

I saw the halo fixer. I also saw the diffraction correction which, as far as I read the specs, should use a deconvolution filter for specifically taking care of that defect. I didn't have the time yet, but there's a handful of shots at f/22 (wanted) and a few f/18 (operator error) that I'm going to try.

Also, I see that C1 uses SQLite as the database, so I should be able to adapt my script for automatically extracting collection info and translate in the format used by my website. Honestly, the thing is going even faster than I thought.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
The switch to Capture or Capture One itself?

The switch. I originally thought it would take two months for me to become operative - that is, I'd have closed 2017 before really switching to C1. But I see I am operative right now (with some tweaks).

For what concerns C1 itself, I only imported 140 photos so far, so it's too early to evaluate.

stoppingdown.net

and here we have alternatives flowing looking for frustrated adobe customers 

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/23/macphun...ts-coming/

Is Adobe enjoying this ?

Who knows MacPhun, who knows Adobe? It's not the first time a new app was blown up to "Adobe rival", but while Adobe's manager take classes in freestyle swimming in cashflow, so far all these rivals made a couple of small percents. If one would take away a significant market share, Adobe just raise the rental prices and crashes the competitor to dust. At best, it's entertaining for Adobe's managers.

maybe they are a bit more concrened about that bugs... https://petapixel.com/2015/10/08/adobe-l...rash-bugs/

Happy Adobing, fanboys  :lol:

Quote: 

Sure, all of those who manage their files in a traditional way and  are used to a ton of more clicks than LR / Aperture does with certain clicks - they all do not know the difference between Libraries and traditional file management. What I don't know, I will not miss.
I like your last sentence. 

I've just looked how my daughter use her smart phone camera and manage her gallery. It is way above what we/old people/ are doing . 

With zero efforts she can ask human questions like.

give picture with face of my father!

give picture from xxxxx city

find picture from xxxx museum

Interesting to see how the new generation uses this technology/ It is also nice to see that AI /artificial intelligence/ all around us.

What can I say about LR – It is nice part of photography history . The old people still use it even more  they are proud of it 

•  Previous
  • 9(current)