• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And we got there (no more Lightroom standalone)
Adobe announced that the new Lightroom has no "standalone" version:

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/18/bye-bye...m-classic/

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/adobe-an...e-version/

We knew it was coming. Now it's high time to spend some time to evaluated and pick an alternative.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
If you "only" use LR's RAW conversion - plenty of Alternatives.

If you also used the library module, take a look at Capture One or tinker a "solution" with a media browser and some RAW converter.

Aperture and LR were the only apps with a dense integration of development and lbrary modules. It's a shame...

If everyone refuses the over price annoying subscription model then the vendors will revert back to a more traditional model. It is just a way to milk more pennies from the occasional user.

For what concern cataloguing, I could even write my own stuff (I did about ten years ago - keyword management was even a bit more sophisticated than LR). Then LR came out and I switched to it. I mean, cataloguing is not hard.

The pain point is the editor. Capture One is fine, and it's probably even better than LR. Integrating a cataloguing engine and an editor shoudn't be hard. The problem is the legacy: the impossibility of importing RAW processing in LR into a new application preserving accurately the final rendition.

Probably one could work with this procedure: export everything in the LR catalog as JPEGs, so they are compact, but it can be seen the exact rendition (contrast, colours, etc...) at the current processing for all the photos. Then start working with new photos and Capture One. If one has to re-edit an old photo, spend a few time in tweaks so that the RAW is rendered exactly as the exported JPEG, and then start from that point.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
     Frankly I can't see what else I need....... I'll just keep on using PS CS6 with ACR 9.0.....

....in conjunction with Adobe raw converter 9.5 .....which is the big NEF raw file get around!

Quote:If everyone refuses the over price annoying subscription model then the vendors will revert back to a more traditional model. It is just a way to milk more pennies from the occasional user.

Really?

Lightroom Classic - Best photo editor ever

Lightroom CC - Fairly good for beginners and intermediate users

Photoshop - Best professional graphics software ever

Lightroom Mobile - not at all bad

Photoshop Fix Mobile - Looks good but haven't tried it properly

20GB Cloud storage

Can install on two computers + tablets + phones

Everything links and works when using my iMac, Macbook, iPad and iPhone

All this for 10 bucks a month?

It's the best bargain of all time! 

Why don't people who don't want to pay a subscription just buy Photoshop Elements and be done with all the complaining?
Best or not best, it's subjective. Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that I can't tolerate a subscription. I pay for a version, and I want to have a license for that version forever. Period.

stoppingdown.net

Well, if you have the last version of LR you have it forever. So, what's the problem?

BTW, if you pay one year's “subscription” for your house insurance do you suppose it's valid forever?

Quote:Really?

Lightroom Classic - Best photo editor ever

No. Not even remotely. Just out of interest: How many have you tried?  Rolleyes 

Quote:Lightroom CC - Fairly good for beginners and intermediate users

Photoshop - Best professional graphics software ever

For me it's a chunky piece of software with parts form 20 years ago in it, totally overpriced, with a steep learning curve and also overkill - it's just widespread because it was comparatively easy to copy. Everyone knows one who knows one who has a connection to Russian or Chinese hackers. Big Grin

Quote:Lightroom Mobile - not at all bad

Not bad at all appeals to a lot of things. I don't bother with software less than "good".

Quote:Photoshop Fix Mobile - Looks good but haven't tried it properly

20GB Cloud storage

Yeah, lock your pictures into Adobe prison...  :ph34r: 

Quote:Can install on two computers + tablets + phones

Everything links and works when using my iMac, Macbook, iPad and iPhone

Iridient costs less than 120 bucks a year and I can install it on as many devices as I want. Same with Affinity which I find superior to Photoshop.

Quote:All this for 10 bucks a month?

It's the best bargain of all time!

Yeah, pay in the "make Adobe 1.8 billions richer per years" fonds  Tongue 

Quote:Why don't people who don't want to pay a subscription just buy Photoshop Elements and be done with all the complaining?

Because Photoshop Elements sucks as well, is a crippled version of PS and people have a memory of a time when you could buy an update at the moment I need some of it's features. PS will not get a lot more features, so why you wanna pay for a development which is very much at it's end? To finance other projects of Adobe?

You're right, it's not a bad offer, it's just the blackmail style of them. And I think Adobe is rich enough - but so I do as well about Apple. Well, anybody to his or her best satisfaction. My satisfaction comes from the fact that i managed to have an Adobe-free Mac.

Quote:Well, if you have the last version of LR you have it forever. So, what's the problem?

BTW, if you pay one year's “subscription” for your house insurance do you suppose it's valid forever?

This post you can't mean seriously? At the moment an OS update forces to update other software as well, your "have it forever" is over pretty quickly. This I experienced a couple of times during 27 years using PCs.

And the house insurance is no software, but I think you already knew that.

Andrew, Adobe's playing the game to put in new features, together with some bugs, then "correct them", cancel the features and "invent" them again. I remember very well that glorious moment when they introduced "3D filters" to Illustrator and new PCs with state of the art MB, RAM and disks crashed as soon as you wanted to turn a simple cube.

If they would deliver cool and slick software and entertain excellent customer support - no problem. But "No" to all three topics... I don't see the value of that stuff.

But hey, maybe I have to change my mind - in the next weeks we gonna update to Win 10 and Adobe CC, I look forward to tons of fun...  <_<

• 1(current)
  • Next