Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8
Eh... Since when does "creative potential" (as you put it in the first version of the summary - you appear to have amended that later, thus much of my vitriol would go to waste Smile) equal "mega shallow DOF" alone? Because it seems that was your only gripe with this lens... But come on, do you always need the "one eyelash in focus" photos? Does that type of subject warrant a good photo? No and no.

Funny... I've only just read this review when I was shooting stuff around Moscow on the 16th, around noon. I've come across a bunch of metal trees adorned with lots and lots of "love locks" with a great background (of Kremlin, no less). There I spent about half an hour shooting with a 70-200/2.8 lens. Had to stop down well into the diffraction territory (as much as f/22 at times) to get at least the few locks in focus, while keeping the background recognizable (blurred to hell but somewhat recognizable). Quite a few photos got blurred because of slow shutter speed. I raised the ISO to 800 or even 1600. I thought of what you wrote - if the µ4/3 would've given me a much deeper DOF for the same settings, it would've been nice - I wouldn't have to stop down nearly as much (luckily that was in daytime, so I didn't get capped by ISO).

I understand that this is an oddball example, but here's a much more generalized one from me. I'm frequently shooting at a local theatre - and get paid for this work. There, I've had a lot of trouble shooting the same 70-200/2.8 lens wide open on 1D Mark II N (I had to, because I was running out of usable shutter speed and ISO). Once I upgraded to 1D Mark IV that gave me 2 more stops of highly usable ISOs, I got more leeway to stop down while maintaining decent shutter speed to stop action. Recently I took a Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 VC (that I bought as a present, since given to the new owner) to the theatre, with great success. DOF was about right even for group shots (which are a bane for my shooting). I'm already missing that lens. Big Grin

So in a nutshell, this 25/1.8 looks like a supersharp lens from wide open (unlike many, if not most of 50mm FF primes) and until the diffraction creeps in. What's not to like?

Messages In This Thread
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 - by HarryLally - 11-15-2014, 08:49 PM
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 - by Sylvain - 11-15-2014, 11:41 PM
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 - by Sylvain - 11-16-2014, 01:57 PM
next PZ lens test report: Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8 - by Rover - 11-17-2014, 05:16 AM