Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED or plasma screen
Hi

Maybe it sounds off topic but I am getting a large TV for my house and I will be using it very often for pictures

1920X1080 is not exactly what I need but it is the only affordable solution for the time being 

the question what would you recommed plasma or LED 

The last manufacturer of plasma TV will end production this month. Get used to led displays. My plasma failed 2 months ago and replaced it with a larger led display. So, the plasma is gone (along with the included heater!).
LED with local deeming.

Well for those with a green thumb LED is the way to go; but some (many?) folks claim plasma has the better image. However, the newest LED are quite good and still use ?1/4? the energy of plasma.

-

Which is better as always is in the eyes of the beholder; also if you live in arctic plasma makes a nice heater.

I believe OLED will be the display technology of the future, and prices are coming down fast. Haven't heard about them making monitor-sized panels, but 55" TVs are below $3K and dropping.

As an earlier poster said, plasma screens are being phased out and LED is the way to go. Had mine about a year and the picture is terrific, especially with HD transmissions.

Nice to hear from you again toni-a. Where are you these days? Still in France or back in the Lebanon?

Michael

I think you are better off finding out which models are more stable. For example, we have a Samsung LED TV which whilst not that great picture quality wise, it very rarely "crashes". My sister-in-law says that her Phillips LED, which has really nice picture quality, is constantly crashing. That is, when she is using some of the Smart TV features the TV just hangs and constantly needs to be re-booted.

As for showing photos on the TV, I don't think there are too many affordable ones ($500-$800) that are going to come any where near what you get on a PC monitor.

Unfortunately plasmas are phasing out... My older 720p plasma is definitely better than the 1080p led TV I bought recently. They'll share the same faith like the CCDs I suppose :-)...

But regardless of that, as Studor13 already mentioned, why use a TV to view photographs? Could you calibrate it for a decent view?

Serkan