Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EOS 7D II - poor sensor (DxO Mark)
Right. Because Canon sensors score poorly relative to the competition on most sensor metrics the test must be flawed. 

Quote:Taking DXO "tests" that serious? Their colour tests are silly, their noise tests never catch NR kicking in at higher ISO settings, even when the graphs clearly show jumps in the graphs, and their DR at low ISO bias is only useful for the new breed of 4 stop shadow pullers (lets not call them photographers). Their lens tests are a joke, by the way.

The normal output from the 7D mk II looks to be pretty good to say the least, but if you don't need an action/sports shooter, or want/need the most advanced AF system, the 70D is a fine camera too (and quite a bit lighter). For the lens test won't matter, of course.
Quote:Right. Because Canon sensors score poorly relative to the competition on most sensor metrics the test must be flawed. 
The reaction one knew that would come.

And yes, DXO is pretty flawed. If you don't want to look at things objectively, you don't have to. It is fine for you to believe whatever suits you.

If for you the be all and end all is a low noise floor at base ISO measured by DXO, good for you.
As mentioned - the EOS 50D is from 2008. We can't really continue on it anymore regardless of valid arguments to do so.

Quote:As mentioned - the EOS 50D is from 2008. We can't really continue on it anymore regardless of valid arguments to do so.

What will happen to the existing Canon APS-C reviews once you start testing with a new body? Will the remain available?
Quote:The reaction one knew that would come.

And yes, DXO is pretty flawed. If you don't want to look at things objectively, you don't have to. It is fine for you to believe whatever suits you.

If for you the be all and end all is a low noise floor at base ISO measured by DXO, good for you.

Perhaps you can then point out a more "objective" data than DXO? And with that some metrics in which the Canon sensor is not of lower performance than comparable sensors from Sony? DR, SNR, Colour separation?. I personally don't have an agenda against one brand or another as I use varied equipment. Also if Canon sensors are of lower performance than competitors does not imply their cameras are not useful tools. However irrational denial of clear performance gaps out of brand loyalty is only bad for the customer in the end as it puts less pressure on the manufacture to improve. 
I also think that you just can't deny the DxO ratings. 

They are using these results for correction engines in their product and Optics Pro is more than just nice.

Personally I don't have an issue with IQ. The EOS 50D is already very good and the 7D II is certainly a magnitude better.

Whether the difference towards the Sony-sensor based cameras is so pronounced - I think it looks worse for Canon than it actually is.

While I haven't used the D7100 I am not so thrilled with the sensor used in the A6000/NEX7 and they are at least related.

I hope that Markus is going to publish some D7100-based tests soon ...

Quote:What will happen to the existing Canon APS-C reviews once you start testing with a new body? Will the remain available?

Sure. As always.
Quote:Sure. As always.

It could be my bad memory, but weren't there once FourThirds lens tests that have been pulled from the site because the body they were tested with was outdated?
I think I pulled a few (5ish) reviews because they proved to be invalid in subsequent retests or due to QC concerns.

Plus a few Sony tests done with the A100 because of the irrelevant number of tests.

Thus this happened in the PZ stone age ;-)
Well urm, my 2c (my opinion is cheap), I would say that looking at my pictures, taken in difficult conditions in the field - Consisting of very familiar subject matter (skin);  In difficult hi-con deep shadow and light;  Processed by (imo the best) C1/8: Tells me that my current camera (100D, 18mp DXO rating 63 +lens, 55-250stm) is making pictures that are equal to or (imo) better than any other camera I've had (D2X, A900, 7D, 70D) and not noticeably different from a friends D700.

I know I know what you'll say, but I've been looking at these pictures a long time. Admittedly my lighting/portrait distance/atmospheric conditions/lens have not been not perfect, and no doubt the DR isn't there at the extreme, but....

This is not to deny the fact that this site should be testing on the best available gear, it obviously should....my opinion is regarding personal use.

All my above rabbeting on brings me to another question:- How long does a sensor last in bringing you the user the quality pictures after, say, a couple of years that it did on day one?....For me the answer might be not a really long time in that I believe I've moved on to new gear due to low-con rez deteriorating such as to be obvious after some time (again, observing in the field shots).....If so does a $3000 camera have a 6 times longer life than a $500 camera....If so my current camera won't live long at all :-) ....Sorry, I shouldn't look in here from time to time and make silly comments.

One of the issues here are the screens I think.

Laptop screens are mostly still dismal for instance. If they can display a contrast ration beyond 1:500 you already got a good one - not to mention tonality.

The mighty Macbook Pro retina, one of the best, has a sRGB coverage of 80%, and and AdobeRGB coverage of just 60%. Your average DSLR goes beyond AdobeRBG in RAWs.

Thus if you don't have an excellent (dedicated) screen and use at least AdobeRGB as target color space, you won't really see the whole story.

See http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutori...-rgb.shtml for some details.

Disclaimer: I don't do it either although I have a good screen (albeit somewhat dated by now).