Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
will be shooting basketball games, gear suggestions and others.
The fan club of my favorite basketball team (who were crowned this year Asia champions BTW) want me to take pictures of some games.

I have full access to the whole court area, since I will be among the club's official photographers.

Quality requirements aren't too high since pictures will be posted on the club's website (800x600pix usually)

I did a nice job back in 2006 using 30D and canon18-55 and 75-300

Would canon 70-300 be good enough? Should I go for 100-400 ?

Do you think using monopod would be useful ?
When you will look back at the images, you will now see that the job you did was not that great because of the lack of subject separation. Look at good sports/basketball images to get the idea.

What you then need is a fast focussing lens and a large aperture.

Basketball fields are not that big, so a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 will do fine. 

Quote:When you will look back at the images, you will now see that the job you did was not that great 
Obviously, I learnt a lot since then  Smile

I used manual focus on 75-300 because lens  autofocus was very slow, 30D was  not a superb performer anyway, my technique was focus trapping, I focused a point and waited the subject to go there.

As for fast lenses and subject isolation it's  quite a tricky thing, with  the thin depth of field the slightest  focus error will make your picture non usable.

I don't know if the autofocus speed of 70-300 would be fast enough though 
I Wonder if you could get away with using a single prime lens?  There seem to be a lot of differing opinions on the 85/1.8, 100/2, and 135/2L.  Some people think the are all roughly the same, but one is double the price.  I don't have the 70-200/2.8L, but have the the 135 F/2L and the 70-200/4L IS.  Sadly we are separated by quite a distance or you could see how they worked out!  I'm going to try them wide open.  my impression in the past is that the 135 needs a bit of stopping down, and not so much the 70-200/4L.  I'm not made of money and I thought at the time getting the two lenses gave me more than the 70-200/2.8L.  I'm not saying I'm right.  Just that I did not think I would loose much, and both are easier to walk around with.  The 85/1.8 is practically weightless!

BTW- Mine is not the voice of experience.  I shoot in low light outdoors, and have good success with those lenses.  I don't shoot indoors that often.  When I do it is at closer distances, so the results don't apply here.  I mainly replied because I'd like to hear what others would use, and I am guessing the two lenses I use outdoors that I mentioned could work well.

hi toni-a,

low light + action = trouble shooting,,(even though i do not own a 7dm2)

my personal experience, low light dance show,

shooting with 2 cameras

7dm1/580ex

--50mm 1.4 canon works reasonably fine

--85mm 1.8 canon works fine

--50mm 1.4 sigma art works reasonably fine

of course these combo's depend from the distance you shoot at

and...fixed focal...do not bother zooming : just shoot and reframe afterwords

400d/400ex

--30mm 1.4 ex sigma honestly...frustrating, would not try it again

--85mm 1.8 canon works reasonably, but do not expect wonders (AF to slow, frame rate to slow)

--50mm 1.4 canon same as 85mm 1.8

--15-85mm canon for use in "still" moments acceptable (even if noise is still a problem with the camera)

tripod/monopod ,

too cumbersome indoor with action photo's (IMHO)

so?

i do not own the 17-55mm 2.8

neither the 100mm macro

the most obvious choice would be i think the 50-150mm sigma or 50-135mm tokina

but since i did never owned these lenses...

a more common choice would be any 70-200mm 2.8 (canon, sigma or tamron),

but these could be a tad too long at times

but i never used these either

my main set-up was finaly,

7d/580ex/50mm 1.4 (first canon, later sigma art), 85mm 1.8 when shooting a second day

400d/400ex/15-85mm (for "still" moments)

and ...a battery-pack for the 580 ex

so ?

i do not know every of your lenses,

so far i know you own the 17-55mm 2.8, you could use with your 7dm2, (at 55mm most of the time, cropping if necessary in PP)

and maybe, but i fear AF could be too slow, your 30d with your 100mm macro as second camera

as you can "choose" your place,

i guess you should have a try before with the FL's you have

very kind regards,

couplos
Use your 17-55/2.8 wide open

Use your 50/1.4

If you have a fisheye, try shootingfrom underneath the basket.

Experiment with off-camera flash (strobist-type stuff)

Quote:hi toni-a,

low light + action = trouble shooting,,(even though i do not own a 7dm2)

my personal experience, low light dance show,

shooting with 2 cameras

7dm1/580ex

--50mm 1.4 canon works reasonably fine

--85mm 1.8 canon works fine

--50mm 1.4 sigma art works reasonably fine

of course these combo's depend from the distance you shoot at

and...fixed focal...do not bother zooming : just shoot and reframe afterwords

400d/400ex

--30mm 1.4 ex sigma honestly...frustrating, would not try it again

--85mm 1.8 canon works reasonably, but do not expect wonders (AF to slow, frame rate to slow)

--50mm 1.4 canon same as 85mm 1.8

--15-85mm canon for use in "still" moments acceptable (even if noise is still a problem with the camera)

tripod/monopod ,

too cumbersome indoor with action photo's (IMHO)

so?

i do not own the 17-55mm 2.8

neither the 100mm macro

the most obvious choice would be i think the 50-150mm sigma or 50-135mm tokina

but since i did never owned these lenses...

a more common choice would be any 70-200mm 2.8 (canon, sigma or tamron),

but these could be a tad too long at times

but i never used these either

my main set-up was finaly,

7d/580ex/50mm 1.4 (first canon, later sigma art), 85mm 1.8 when shooting a second day

400d/400ex/15-85mm (for "still" moments)

and ...a battery-pack for the 580 ex

so ?

i do not know every of your lenses,

so far i know you own the 17-55mm 2.8, you could use with your 7dm2, (at 55mm most of the time, cropping if necessary in PP)

and maybe, but i fear AF could be too slow, your 30d with your 100mm macro as second camera

as you can "choose" your place,

i guess you should have a try before with the FL's you have

very kind regards,

couplos

Didn't expect use of flash there, anyway I also own 750D, 5D classic, my loyal friend Ghas will very likely be there with his 7D.

Since we have friendlies before official games, will use them to see what gear should fit best and most important where are best places to grab good shots since moving when the court is full isn't quite easy.

Will try to find gear that works best

Maybe 24-105f4L on 7Dmkii should do the job.

In friendlies stands are half empty, besides I can have my place among officials and I can swap lenses and bodies as much as I want, will try in friendlies and let you know what happens
As you can get close I would use the 17-55 and shoot from under the hoops. I would also get some strobes setup with remote triggers. The lighting is usually pretty crap and flat indoors so i'd cross light it with a couple of speedlights set high up (http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/04/l...hting.html)

Your 7dii will sync as 1/250, so that's a good start.

Have a look here for some more ideas: 

http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a...ports.html