Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Nikkor AF-S 20mm f1.8
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Product...14-lens-hp

Neat new prime.

Looks quite nice, though as usual I have complaint about the distance and dof scales on modern Nikon primes. The minimum focus distance is good. The price also looks reasonable.
Can't wait for the review of this lens.
DoF scales are useless on modern AF lenses. The angle of the scales is too narrow to make a wide enough stepping and to show more than just f/16. And at the end of the day, DoF is something very subjective. Used in the "old days" to create a tolerance for focussing in terms like "sharp from 1.5…8 m" and leading to lazy focussing because DoF will do the trick. That was the false expectation of most of us. Of course, it worked in those small print sizes or on the slide shows because few people looked at it in 100% magnification (which only showed better the structure of the silver grains). DoF is more about the relation of FoV when the picture was taken and size of paper after it is printed. 

It was right and wrong at the same time. Max sharpness is not extended with smaller aperture and decreases after f/8. I don't need a scale which is a rough approach. On second thought: I don't need it because I don't trust it.

The lens, however, does look very nice in terms of specifications but I don't think I'll give up 24/1.4 for it. That range is already over-covered on my "lens shelf". Anyway, I look forward to reviews of it, but please, Markus, don't feel pushed - there are loads of new glass coming out for photokina...

Yes, lot's of glass coming out, unsurprisingly... however, I'd definitely prefer to review this Nikkor over any of the 18-300 zooms Wink

Just like Frank I immediately noticed the short MFD, just like the Sigma 20/1.8, which has just been discontinued (and which I liked a lot just because of this feature).

-- Markus
Editor
opticallimits.com

One can hope that Sigma's 2* mm/1.8 triplets are going to see an update soon, all three of them - since they all might have a niche: a 20/1.8 as "da wide", a new (and rumored) 24/1.4 as "da fast" and a 28/1.8 as "da affordable". Smile

Until today, I thought a triplet is a lens with just three elements (as the old Novoflex rapid focus tele lenses were). One learns a bit each day...

Actually I don't understand why Sigma doesn't announce more of those rumoured lenses right now. Maybe those are only rumours? Or they make a big event out of it right on Photokina? Somehow I expected more from them. But then, they released quite a quantity during the last two years, are a small company, deliver to various lens mounts and struggle a bit with their own cameras and software. All of those cameras are nice, beautifully designed but I'm afraid, too expensive and too exotic with no support from the big players on RAW conversion. That's what I say as owner of two DP merills...

As for this Nikon lens, I'm also looking forward to the test. Let's see what it has to deliver!
Quote:Until today, I thought a triplet is a lens with just three elements (as the old Novoflex rapid focus tele lenses were). One learns a bit each day...

Actually I don't understand why Sigma doesn't announce more of those rumoured lenses right now. Maybe those are only rumours? Or they make a big event out of it right on Photokina? Somehow I expected more from them. But then, they released quite a quantity during the last two years, are a small company, deliver to various lens mounts and struggle a bit with their own cameras and software. All of those cameras are nice, beautifully designed but I'm afraid, too expensive and too exotic with no support from the big players on RAW conversion. That's what I say as owner of two DP merills...

As for this Nikon lens, I'm also looking forward to the test. Let's see what it has to deliver!
Haha, touche. Smile As you have surely guessed, I was referring to a different meaning of the word, per Google dictionary: "triplet - one of three children or animals born at the same birth; a set or succession of three similar things".

You also nailed it that pretty few of the rumored lenses have been actually announced, whereas new ones have sprung up in their place (24A? 85A? Here, take your 18-300C and shut up! Smile) I hope to be proven wrong on this one though.
Quote:I hope to be proven wrong on this one though.
Me too.

But then, even after the "official" announcements, Sigma takes a lot of time to bring their glass into sales. I admit, I like the Nikon/Apple way a bit better: Announce and promise a delivery date.