Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparison of: Zeiss Otus, Sigma 50 Art, Nikkor 58G, Nikkor 50/1.4G, Nikkor 50/1.8G
Markus will find it to be very soft wide open, just like every other site who MTF tests it will find....

I find it ok that the lens is not sharp wide open, and I like its smooth background bokeh rendering. I find its nonsensically big size (pretty small lens elements) silly, it is only done to make it look beefier, basically. And I find its price ridiculous and totally unjustified (just a few elements, just two aspherical elements, nothing special).

I can imagine some people liking it for its bokeh at this FOV, but the price is silly.

It probably renders bokeh more softly because it's soft overall? ???
Quote:It probably renders bokeh more softly because it's soft overall? ???
That is not how bokeh works.
Maybe not how bokeh works - but this Nikkor does it that way. At least, it's softness wide open will not make the bokeh look harsh or nervous. More blurred..

Anyway, that lens isn't worth much of a discussion, you already brought the weak spots together. Size and performance don't fit to it's price tag.

Quote:Maybe not how bokeh works - but this Nikkor does it that way. At least, it's softness wide open will not make the bokeh look harsh or nervous. More blurred..
Nonsense, the Nikkor does not do it " that way". It is not THAT soft, you have to "pixel peep" to see its not sharp. Has no influence on the bokeh. 

The other way around may be true, that how they caused the background bokeh to be smooth in s simple way caused that the in focus plane is not very sharp. But only real lens designers who can do measurements on the different lens elements of this lens can tell if that is the case.
Ah, God himself is speaking again. Your rudeness is just boring. :angry:

Quote: 

The other way around may be true, that how they caused the background bokeh to be smooth in s simple way caused that the in focus plane is not very sharp. But only real lens designers who can do measurements on the different lens elements of this lens can tell if that is the case.
Optics isn't magic, there are no cause-effect relations that work one way and not the other.  The 58/1.4 has immense spherical aberration.  This gives it a very hazy appearance (=soft focal plane) but also causes things to be thrown further out of focus than they "should be" in a perfect lens.  This greater distance leads to a greater blur radius, and thus softer bokeh...
I'm not interested in those lenses, but I can't prevent myself from complimenting with the OP for his work, both in substance and form. In particular, the "sliding" control for comparing images is great, really effective. Is it something you developed on your own, or is it a freely available JavaScript library? Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Quote:I'm not interested in those lenses, but I can't prevent myself from complimenting with the OP for his work, both in substance and form. In particular, the "sliding" control for comparing images is great, really effective. Is it something you developed on your own, or is it a freely available JavaScript library? Thanks.
Oops... This time I skimmed too fast. Thanks.

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.