Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma's lousy lens and it's ugly diamond-shaped bokeh (50mm f1.4 ART, Canon full frame)
Quote:Hmm Joju, you're right, the lawn sprinkler test isn't rigorously scientific ;-)

Was the lens for your images also the sigma 50mm ART lens?

I've no drops shot with the Otus as I had the Otus in last winter (no sprinklers then) and the shots I have are too personal to share here. The sharpness of the Otus fully open (in the shallow depth of focus where it's sharp) is a bit like if you would have stopped another high-end lens down to something like 5.6.

Yes, I also had the idea to run across a sprinkler with the Sigma. So different are tastes, I like what it did with the drops. Also, the Sigma might not be as sharp wide open as the Otus, but from f/2 on it's better than all other lenses I own at f/4. I also like very much the way it renders colors and models the third dimension  :wub:

I can't judge about Canon, but I'm not overly indulged by Nikon's AF technology and I had lenses with some keeper rate of about 50% wide open (and with some movement). The Sigma doesn't blow it up to 100% but it is at least as reliable as any Nikkor. After 2 years learning with D800 I'm used to take more than one shot, if I have to open up the aperture and not every click is sharp, but the ones which are - always an awesome impression.

And now I need to sleep as well [Image: bored20x18.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Sigma's lousy lens and it's ugly diamond-shaped bokeh (50mm f1.4 ART, Canon full frame) - by JJ_SO - 07-05-2014, 12:33 AM