Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Needed: Is my fuji 23mm a bad copy?
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 23mm 1.4 lens from fujifilm, and used it during my trip. When I came back home and reviewed the pictures, I found at larger apertures the images look quite soft, with some kind of mushy feel, even in the image center. Stopping down to f2.8 helped things quite a bit

Not that I expect a lens to perform flawlessly at the maximum aperture, but it has been quite opposite to what I have been reading online so far. I wonder if I got bad copy? I attach the decentering test in the attachment, can anyone give some advice/suggestions? Thanks for your help

Can you post some examples of images that show what you call "mushy"?

Is this a downscaled image or a 100% crop ?

The left image doesn't look right to me.

Quote:Is this a downscaled image or a 100% crop ?

The left image doesn't look right to me.
They are just 100% crops, not downscaled...do you think it's severe? I shot the decentering sanity check chart and cropped the centre portion out of it...

Quote:Can you post some examples of images that show what you call "mushy"?
I'll try to shoot some samples to show this
If this is a 100% crop I'd say that it's on the borderline. I would probably send it to service.

The edge blurriness in the top quadrant will undoubtedly affect the contrast at f/1.4.

The purple halo is normal.
Quote:If this is a 100% crop I'd say that it's on the borderline. I would probably send it to service.

The edge blurriness in the top quadrant will undoubtedly affect the contrast at f/1.4.

The purple halo is normal.
Sorry just realized it's not a 100% crop. I think it was resized by website, so I uploaded the 100% crop as the third file.

I'm really hesitating if I should waste my life with Fujifilm service center, Last time I had an X100 with slanted viewfinder, it took 4 months, 4 round trips and numerous calls to get the machine repaired...and in the end they have to replace the machine because they broke a new part when they got the old probelm fixed...
Quote:Can you post some examples of images that show what you call "mushy"?

I have attached a file at focus point, I feel the contrast between the white characters on the ball and the  surrounding is quite low
That can happen with fast lenses, it looks like a combination of LoCA and reflexions due to not the best coatings, to me. The price to pay for allowing lots of light in.

Quote:Sorry just realized it's not a 100% crop. I think it was resized by website, so I uploaded the 100% crop as the third file.

I'm really hesitating if I should waste my life with Fujifilm service center, Last time I had an X100 with slanted viewfinder, it took 4 months, 4 round trips and numerous calls to get the machine repaired...and in the end they have to replace the machine because they broke a new part when they got the old probelm fixed...

Well, if this is the very sharpest setting you can get, then it has a centering problem ( if this crop is from the image center! ). Point is that in the image center everything has to be symmetrical - at least once total focus has been achieved.

This has nothing to do with the coating - a weak coating would show up at all edges not just the lower left ones.
Fwiw, the first sample we tested looked like this. Fuji replaced it.