Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sony A7x advisory
Hi all,

I am currently finishing the 70-200mm f/4 G OSS test.

I had to take extra (bizarre) measurements to test this lens due to the massive impact of the A7R's shutter. The effect was also reflected in the results of the field session.

At around 1/50-1/200sec the shutter has a significant blurring effect on the results with a correspondingly low yield rate.

I would therefore like to make the clear recommendation to stay away from the A7R - it is a flawed camera - and consider the A7 (with shutter set to electronic first curtain) or the upcoming A7s (with full electronic shutter) instead. It is unlikely that Sony will be able to fix this via firmware.

If you already own an A7R I would recommend to set your ISO in a way to achieve shutter speed of 1/400sec or faster in order to minimize the effect.

Klaus

PS: Nice lens ...

I'm very suprised that this issue hasn't been a bigger debate around forums and such. People bash the 24-70 a lot, but a flawed camera is a much bigger issue I think. I staid away from the "R" and went for the A7 instead and think it's a good camera.

This is turning out to be a thriller: only one 70-200 left in stock in the whole country but I'm holding off until your review is out Smile

I read the problem was discovered soon after release, one guy published tests and concluded that the problem was a myth, but he was using a 35mm lens, another found that a 1/2 kilo brass weight mounted using the tripod thread cured the problem. Either way the vibration is there and it's not surprising given the noise the shutter makes.  No doubt Sony are beavering away in the labs working on the new "A7 soft", it's a pity because the camera has so so much going for it, it certainly has created a new benchmark in modern photography.

Actually I bought the battery grip as a counterweight but it didn't make a big difference really.

The issue is obviously amplified with a tele lens. 

You may argue that the A7R has an AA filter after all though (a darn strong one).
So the shutter is working as an additional blurr effect together with a massive AA filter on a 36mp camera? Maybe the marketing guys at Sony are just running out of buzzwords or labels to stick on the camera? Couldn't it be some sort of innovation, while these days everything is producing sharp pictures, to soften the reality? "Make the edges of our world smoother to deal with" or like Nikon "I AM all fluffy".
Quote:Actually I bought the battery grip as a counterweight but it didn't make a big difference really.

The issue is obviously amplified with a tele lens. 

You may argue that the A7R has an AA filter after all though (a darn strong one).
A là Pentax!
The A7r has a AA filter? I thought the A7 has a AA filter and the A7r hasn't.
Incredible to even imagine it went unnoticed or even worse noticed before mass production. Or even that QC on the production units didn't assess it.

Another debatable thing is that lossy raw massaging...

I recommend that blog http://blog.kasson.com on all A7 & A7R related issues.

Quote:The A7r has a AA filter? I thought the A7 has a AA filter and the A7r hasn't.
It was a technical joke referring to the fact that Pentax has implemented a way to fight aliasing by using vibrations.

Sony A7R shakes so much that it implements such AA filtering :-) but you're right, on paper, A7 has a filter, A7R doesn't.