Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canon EF-S 17-55 2.8 v. Sigma AF 17-50 2.8?
Dearl all,

I have a Canon 17-55 2.8 and I am thinking in trading it for a Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC HSM OS.  I know it may seem irrational but the main reason is that while I want to have a 2.8 multi-purpose zoom as my main lens, I am finding the Canon's too bulky for travelling.

The Sigma is smaller and with the exception of edge quality at 2.8 which is rather bad, it seems to outperform the Canon at smaller apertures according to Photozone's review.

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/5...a1750f28os

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/4...0d?start=2

I will appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

It will be a fine lens, also at the corners. I am pretty sure you will be pleased with it.

I don't know if anything in the range can come closer to the 17-55. I loved mine - from the optical standpoint - when I had it. Unfortunately, mechanical and electronic problems soured my experience quite a bit and I got rid of it after a year. I'm pretty sure if I had stuck with 1.6x crop I might've still owned one (since the early issues are reported to have been ironed out).

I agree with BC, I found it a very nice lens on Nikon, too. The only thing annoying to me was the turning distance ring in front of the lens, and the small angle between closest distance and infinity. Made it a bit fiddly to focus manually. Maybe you want to look at Sigma 17-70/2.8-4?
I own Canon   17-55 a very robust lens with excellent image quality one of the best I have used, myself I see such a move as irrational.

IS is great easily 3 f stops I don't expect sigma OS to do the same 

Never had AF problems with this lens, none of my ex sigma lenses (24-70f2.8 20mmf1.8 and 14mm f2.8) had such a good precision.

Also AF is  blazingly fast much faster than HSM on my ex sigmas.

So I recommend you think twice before such a move